Sitting in the nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by sammy, Aug 15, 2008.

1. sammy

sammy Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2008
    I noticed one of my 2 hens today was actually sitting down in the nest box...is this a sign of an egg in the near future or not?

(never happened before but they have perched on it's edges)

thanks !!!!!!

2. redoak

redoak Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2008
    Russia, NY
    Last week I noticed a couple of my hens sitting in the nest boxes during the day. This week both of those hens started laying. Before last week only our 1 hen who was laying actually went in the nest boxes. Hopefully yours will start laying soon too, it could be a sign [​IMG]

3. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    Quote:Oh good news! Thanks alot!

[​IMG]

4. Daycare Mom

Daycare Mom Chickens, Cuddly and Delicious

Apr 9, 2008
    Conklin, Michigan
    Yes, its a good sign. One day before my BR started laying she was sitting in the nesting box. Shouldn't be a long wait for you now!

5. sammy

Jul 8, 2008
    Thanks!

So far all that I have found in the box was one enormous poop

[​IMG]

6. Jennyhaschicks

Jennyhaschicks Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2008
    Maine
    Hopefully it's a sign. Mine are not quite ready to start laying.
    My cockerel gets in the nest boxes and lays there. I am hoping he is showing the pullets how it's done. [​IMG]

7. BowChickaBowMow

BowChickaBowMow Chillin' With My Peeps

May 16, 2008
    Northern Michigan
    One of my roosters was laying in a nest tonight when I went to locke them up for the night. He's not the head rooster.. just a low guy on the totem pole. I think he gets pushed off the roost or something. So he found himself a nice soft place to sleep far away from the others. I grabbed him out and put him up on the top roost. I hope he doesn't make a habit of it. So far haven't caught any girls laying in there. Mine are 4 and a half months old.. so not quite there yet. I just hope they get the idea though! The rooster pushed the golf balls out of the way too.. LOL!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by