sitting in the nest box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by kelliepulido, Oct 25, 2008.

1. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    My girls 6m old are laying.Some will sit in the nest boxes for a couple hrs.then get up.Others will lay the egg and off they go_One little hen seems to be the nest boxes a good part of the day but will often switch boxes.My question is how do you really know if they are broody?I keep taking her eggs everyday..

2. debilorrah

debilorrah The Great Guru of Yap Premium Member

I often wondered the same thing - then it happened. Trust me you will know. They will sit in that nest day and night and not give it up for anything at anytime. I even had another hen drag her out of the nest by her neck and jump in to lay (we have 6 boxes, but only 1 is acceptable) and then she went right back in there. We put her in jail for two days and she was cured. [​IMG]

3. cmom

cmom Hilltop Farm

Nov 18, 2007
    Florida
    My Coop
    Are you getting any poopy eggs?

4. kelliepulido

kelliepulido Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2008
    st.john's mi
    no.I collect the eggs 2-3x per day I don't want any bad habits starting up.THe other day i noticed a little girl outside all hunkered down underneath the very end of the chicken ramp into the outdoor run when I got her out she was sitting on 7eggs.I don't know if they were all hers or not.I put them all in a nest box and her too but she got up.So I ate all the eggs none had started to develope.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by