sitting in the nest for 2hrs ??

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mrsdjl3rd, Aug 12, 2014.

1. mrsdjl3rd

mrsdjl3rd Out Of The Brooder

Jan 31, 2014
    Arkansas
    I find it crazy that I started getting EEer eggs before my sexlinks started to lay, considering the sexlinks are bright red and the EEers are not. Anyway, I thought maybe theyvwere laying somewhere else and was concerned I would never find their eggs, the roam around all day. Well I have a sexlink in her house in the nest and she is in there for a 2 hours that I know of(she was there when I woke and went to open the house).

Could she be attempting her first egg lay? When should I worry? I don't know how long that first time takes. Worried mom over here lol!

2. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Take off your worrying shoes. She may just be practicing, or she may actually give you that first egg. My girls are also baffling me. The ones that don't look very ready, or even act very ready, are the first ones to give me those pretty little eggs. You may find a pullet who will be in and out of the box, shuffling around in it, tossing bits of straw over her back, singing the egg song, squatting for days before that first egg. Then, there'll be the other pullet, who doesn't look as well developed, who quietly sneaks into the box, squeezes out that first egg with no fan-fare, and is back out looking for bugs an hour later.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop

Some girls make a big production of the whole thing and will sit in the box for a good while before AND after the actual laying takes place, others will hop in the box, drop their egg and be on their way all in the span of less than 10 minutes......it isn't even about it being the first time, these differing patterns and routines with laying are found in hens of all ages.

4. mrsdjl3rd

Jan 31, 2014
    Arkansas
    Thank you guys. This eases me for sure

5. acro1010

acro1010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2014
    I sure hope mine ALL are the in and out type :)

6. mrsdjl3rd

Jan 31, 2014
    Arkansas
    She popped out a big brown egg!!

7. lazy gardener

lazy gardener True BYC Addict

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    Congrats! Enjoy that first of many eggs! I'm sure it'll be the sweetest egg you've ever had!

8. mrsdjl3rd

Jan 31, 2014
    Arkansas
    Thank you! Exciting times!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by