Sitting in the nest on a beautiful day!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by team guava pastry, Sep 6, 2009.

1. team guava pastry

team guava pastry Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    what a day to be out and about, roaming free from the rain. instead LUCY has decided to spend the ENTIRE day sitting in the nest box. it took her about 8 hours to lay an egg and after we collected it she refused to get up. we forced her uot and after 20 minutes she went back to the coop. repeated the process a few times and about 6pm we gave up and left her to be. when it was nighty nighty time and we closed up the coup she decided she was not going to get out of the box. we asked WHAT GIVES, LUCY? but we got no response. anyone have this happen to them? any ideas or suggestions???
    thanks, TGP

2. Forest_Nymph

Forest_Nymph Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 11, 2007
    Maine
    I believe she has gone broody on you!
    She wants to be a momma!
    Good luck with that.

3. Maryallison

Maryallison Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2008
    Fountain, Florida
    Sounds like she is broody to me. Give her some eggs to hatch! [​IMG]

4. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    She's broody! Put some fertile eggs under her, and get babies:)

5. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Sounds like you have a broody! Quick, get some fertile eggs!

6. Princess Amri

Princess Amri Is Mostly Harmless

Jul 16, 2009
    best coast
    Ha! We all posted at once!

7. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    OMG thanks all!!! you guys are killing us, though. [​IMG]
    we never had intentions of having any chickies.. maybe i can put the goose eggs and she can sit on those, since the goose isn't [​IMG]

he have no rooster therefore "FERTILE" is out of the question. we've left the golf balls in the nest even after her continuous egg laying. should we get them out?

how can we fix this?

will this be an egg laying problem? we have 4 cochins and she's the only one that's been laying, for about a month now.

help us get LUCY out in the sun eating bugs.
    tgp!

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  8. chookchick

chookchick Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 18, 2008
    Olympia WA
    Too bad, there are people on here who would die for a broody....
    Try kicking her off the nest every time you catch her on it. After the hens have laid for the day, you can close up the coop completely. She will be pissy, but after a couple of days, she should go off broody. If that doesn't work, you'll have to pen her without any nesting material.

9. team guava pastry

Feb 4, 2009
    Miami, FL
    i can only imagine. too bad for us, and her, i guess.

hmmmm didn't think about closing up the coup. only thing about closing the coup is: how about if the rest of the girls start laying??? then what? o boy! this is tough.

i guess maybe i can try to convince someone to at least borrow a rooster so she can lay some fertile ones. (that's going to be as difficult as winning the lotto).

we'll try monitoring her and forcing her off, i guess.

i hope to be back with a good update.

THANKS AGAIN,
    TGP!

10. Granolamom

Granolamom Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 9, 2008
    Dallas
    Quote:Forget "borrowing" a rooster, I don't think that would work, since you need some help RIGHT NOW. If she's already gone broody, she won't mate with him, and neither will she lay any more eggs.
    Instead, if you can't stop her from sitting on her nest, or decide you want to give hatching a try (it's a nice experience, especially if you have kids around), just ask someone who has a roo for some fertile eggs. Most people will be more than happy to give you some, and then you just slip them under her and let her go about her business. Good luck!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by