Sitting Mallard

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Cakey, Apr 14, 2017.

1. Cakey

Cakey New Egg

Apr 12, 2016
    I have a Mallard who has been sitting on 10 eggs! (She has been brilliant) Today is day 28 from the day she laid her last egg and started sitting, however, on Wednesday 2 ducklings hatched, and 1 yesterday, although she is still on the nest with her 3 babies she doesn't seem to be sitting as tight as before, do you think I can except anymore to hatch, or is that it now? Any comments would be grateful! Thanks

2. Hillaire

Hillaire Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 13, 2017
    Hudson Valley NY
    I would let her do her thing for a few more days and see if anything else hatches if not get rid of the eggs before they rot. good luck!

3. Krazyquilts

Krazyquilts Chillin' With My Peeps Premium Member

How exciting! I haven't been fortunate enough for one of my girls to go broody yet (though one is acting like she is "practicing" :yesss: ) so I can't offer any advice but do keep us posted!

Also, :welcome. This is a really great community.

4. Kroelies

Kroelies Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 21, 2015
    Netherlands
    Mallards don't return to their nest, at least the wild ones don't. The ducklings are supposed to hatch at the same time, in about a day. But don't toss the eggs without candling them first. And if you can hear chirping from the eggs they are alive for sure and very close to hatching!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by