Sitting on eggs then leaves them to get cold

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mistylady, Feb 15, 2009.

1. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    One of my pretty little hens decided she was going to dig out a nest in the hay back where I can't hardly reach and sit on some eggs. She left the nest for so long the eggs were stone cold - its in the 30's outside. Does this mean they were not fertile? She left them for hours. And I had to lay in the floor of the coop and crawl to her hiding spot. I never thought a hen could fit back there. [​IMG]

2. bwebb7

bwebb7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 16, 2008
    Brooksville, Fl
    I'm thinking that she was "going" broody but never really "got" there! :(Maybe next time![​IMG]

3. chickensducks&agoose

chickensducks&agoose Chillin' With My Peeps

If they didn't crack, they didn't completely freeze.. they may still be viable. Consider confining her to a dog crate, or a large tupperware where she will be encouraged to stay on the nest.. remember to let her out a few times a day to eat/poop/drink/socialize....

4. mistylady

mistylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2008
    Ohio near Coshocton
    Thank you for the help! ((hugs)) I'll keep an eye on her and see whats she's going to do. I'd love to have some itty bitty chickies!!!! Dh can't say anything if I didn't buy them online! My flock may increase yet! [​IMG] And he will never know! [​IMG]

5. dancingbear

dancingbear Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 2, 2008
    South Central KY
    It's a bit early in the year. Maybe her body temp dropped and broke the broody cycle. She'll probably get broody for real when it warms up a bit. That would be better for the chicks, too. I'd just let her be and see what she does.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by