Sitting on my hands except to read tons of BYC posts & type--Humidity?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by jensaisquoi, Feb 13, 2009.

1. jensaisquoi

jensaisquoi Out Of The Brooder

Jan 24, 2009
    Livingston, Montana
    Okay so here's a sort of dingy question, followed by my humidity question:

Is Day One the completion of the first 24 hour cycle? Or is it the Day you put the eggs into the incubator? Since I put them in the day I laid my girls to rest (sniff) it was late afternoon so I'm obsessively wondering if maybe I'm only on Day 22 instead of 23 and that makes me hopeful.

Thanks to everyone that assured me the numbers are flexible. I am NOT opening the incubator at all based on very firm advice I have read here, BUT am wondering at what number I should slide another sponge in there...?
    Holding okay at around 60 now but will be concerned later...I'm in Montana where it's super dry.

best,
    Jen

2. ranchhand

ranchhand Rest in Peace 1956-2011

Aug 25, 2008
    SC
    Quote:Sorry about your girls, and glad you have some eggs in the 'bator. I don't know the technical answer, but I can guarantee the pros will want to know what kind of incubator and hygrometer, thermometers, etc. In other words, all the details. Good luck, I hope it goes perfectly for you!

And welcome to BYC! Nice to meet ya! [​IMG]

ETA: I count by the 24 hour periods, but that's because I tend to be literal. Chickens don't worry about such time periods! [​IMG]

Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. brkuk

brkuk Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 6, 2009
    Howell, Mi
    Use a straw an add warm water to the sponge. 60% seems fine to me. Just my thoughts. Good Luck with your hatch, keep sitting on those hands. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

4. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Day One is the 24 hours after the eggs reach incubation temps.

60% is on the high side ... try removing a ventilation plug and see if you can get it to settle around 50%

5. jensaisquoi

Jan 24, 2009
    Livingston, Montana
    Thanks Ranchhand..!
    yeah i have a still air incubator (Little Giant) that I borrowed on the fly (unexpected passing) from a local family here that has used it successfully many times. They said to keep it on 100 and had a thermometer in there, the kind you use for cooking and I added some others to corroborate the info...My humidity gauge wasn't new; just something I had in the house. i had a temp drop when I took out the turner...wondering if that slowed me down or if i'm permanently stalled...[​IMG]
    thanks
    jen

6. jensaisquoi

Jan 24, 2009
    Livingston, Montana
    Thanks, twigg I opened a vent plug and got it to 50... here's hoping. I'm going to be liberal and say I'm on Day 22.

best,

jen

7. twigg

twigg Cooped up

Mar 2, 2008
    Tulsa
    Quote:Grrrr!

I should learn to read !!

Put the plug back in .... I didn't realise it was so late in the incubation

8. jensaisquoi

Jan 24, 2009
    Livingston, Montana
    Ok so I did; I stuck a straw in and added water to the sponge so we're back up to 60 but now it's day twenty...three? I guess? I'm losing hope.

I wouldn't be so emotional but these are my Dellies' babies and I think I was just holding on...they died in a really horrible coop fire and I just jumped into this, my first attempt at hatching and knew that it was definitely worth a try. I will get more Delaware chicks at Murdoch's (they use Murray McMurray...?)
    here in a couple of weeks and maybe some others once I'm done researching other breeds. i just thought they were the best ever.

Thanks,

Jen

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by