Sitting on nest for abnormal about of time, strange broody behavior

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by mangobees, Apr 11, 2017.

1. mangobees

mangobees Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    My salmon faverolles hen started laying about a month ago with no problems until a week ago. She began spending longer amounts of time (longer than it takes to lay an egg) in the nest and she began to scream whenever she saw me near her nest! She gets huge and puffy, and will bite if you get too close.

The perplexing thing is, this would ONLY happen from 9 pm to 12 pm everyday! And after that, she would leave the nest and act completely normal and un-broody
    Recently, she has been spending even more time on the nest, she even slept in it all night until morning. As of now, she is on the nest once again and she has even plucked her own chest feathers out and put them in the nest.
    I do not know if she is going broody for real now, but she has pretended to so many times that I do not get my hopes up!

Has this behavior happened to anyone else? Its strange. I really want her to go broody haha

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
  2. MrsEskew

MrsEskew Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 26, 2015
    Arkansas!!
    My Coop
    Your hen has become broody. She wants to hatch some babies and be a mama.
    [​IMG]
    Heres a pic of my broody Salmon Faverolle. When they get the urge to raise babies, in my experience, there's just no winning that fight with them.

3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Sounds broody to me. I'd stick either some fake eggs under her, (or marked real eggs) for a few days and see what she does. If she sticks tight, I'd remove those eggs and put whatever eggs I want her to hatch under her.

4. mangobees

mangobees Out Of The Brooder

Nov 8, 2015
    Central TX
    [​IMG]

I took her out for a drink and this is what she did [​IMG]

Lol shes never stuck around this long, Ii think shes finally going broody for real! Ii read that hens will sometimes gradually go broody after sitting on the nest for longer and longer each day, so I think thats what was happening.

5. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    She's definitely giving you the stink eye! I wouldn't take her off the nest to eat or drink, though. She'll take care of that on her own. Many broodies tend to like to be secretive. (Or at least think they are) I would suggest putting food and water away from the nest so she has to get off. That way she's less likely to poop in the nest, potentially killing her eggs.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by