Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Sep 23, 2013.

1. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

@TeaChick eeew! nasty about a sick broody hen, sure does make it a bit tricky with doctoring her, and sad about the eggs too.

Well, my chicks were shipped out first thing on Monday morning, and showed up THIS afternoon! I do not think that I have ever gotten chicks that fast! But, I still had one DOA, an extra one (but are they aver really 'extra'? I just hate seeing little dead chicks.... hurts my heart....). Other bum, talking about depriving my chick addiction, I had ordered 10 female Dominiques and 3 male Dominiques (they sent all of those, plus one extra Dominique, that was DOA), I had also ordered 10 straight run Golden Penciled Hamburgs. They only shipped me 6 (they added a note saying that the Hamburg hatch was short), and of the 6 that arrived one is a half dead one with a messed up leg (like a slipped tendon or spraddle leg or something). I taped her legs together in a little hobble, and got her to drink a bit and I think eat. I will leave her to warm for an hour and then hand feed and water her again. But, I really HATE that. I would much rather them die, or be healthy. The emotional roller coaster of doctoring a sick chick, and the "should I kill it, will it get better", and all of that is too much of an emotional roller coaster ride for me. Just do NOT like it, nope!

Anyway, my broody is still doing very well, even with all of the peeping in the next room she is sitting tight.

I should have some eggs start to hatch tomorrow, but I don't know, they don't quite look that big when I candled..maybe I miscounted and they have until Thursday or Friday? Whatever, we shall see.

2. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    Glad you had a fairly successful shipment. I have never ordered live birds. I would have been a nervous wreck.[​IMG]

3. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

4. chickisoup

[​IMG]

5. Alaskan

@chickisoup

[​IMG] you need some green grass, huh?

6. chickisoup

Awwww, so sorry Alaskan [​IMG] Any Nutridrench on hand? That stuff is amazing for perking up shipping stressed birds. Hoping the little just has spraddle leg. Was there proper packing in with them???

7. chickisoup

?????? is that the stuff everyone talks about mowing ?????

8. Puddin Fluff

Puddin Fluff Overrun With Chickens

Mar 30, 2012
    River Valley, AR
    If it is green it gets mowed, if it is white it gets plowed. [​IMG]

9. ronott1

ronott1 Daily Digest Guru Premium Member Project Manager

Mar 31, 2011
    Woodland, California
    My Coop
    Thanks for the reminder. It is 86 here today and the Grass needs to be mowed.

[​IMG]

10. Alaskan

well, the little iffy Hamburg did die, just an hour later. I really thought that he would drag it out for at least a day, but I do much prefer fast over long and drawn out, so it is for the best. *sigh* there were some tears, but it helped that the littlest boy keeps calling them "Hamburgers". So funny!

So, we are down to just five "Hamburgers", I hadn't been able to find a SINGLE breeder anywhere that could ship me hatching eggs for the color I wanted. So, none of the eggs in the incubator are "Hamburgers". Please keep your fingers crossed that we get a good split of sexes. I was hoping to breed them. So, 5 males, would be BAD. 3 pullets and 2 males is good. But I would REALLY like at least two female! (though I guess even one female is better than zero).

Most of my snow is gone, but there are only micro spots of green, nothing yet for the chickens. Chickweed and then dandelions are our first greens.

My ipad is out of battery, when I get it charged, am I supposed to send a picture out of which window? North, South, East or West?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by