Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Sep 23, 2013.

1. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    [​IMG]

x2 [​IMG]

2. TeaChick

TeaChick Overrun With Chickens

May 5, 2013
    Deep South
    My Coop
    Oh, my!

This was me last week. I fell out of the hoop pen my kids built (read: put together) for the white Cochin chicks, scratched the inside of my arm on the palm tree, twisted two toes on the log (they're really pretty this week), and scraped my forehead on the ground (that was "really pretty" last week, but I don't have a scab anymore, just a very pink colored area). [​IMG] My DD doesn't let me climb into the hoop pen anymore (b/c she said I'm lucky I didn't kill myself falling out of it the first time.) [​IMG]

3. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    TC!! [​IMG]

4. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

PUBLIC SERVICE ANNOUNCEMENT!!!

The CDC just released the first human salmonella outbreak bulletin for 2014. No surprise, they've traced it back to chicks and ducks from Mt Healthy Hatchery in Ohio, again. That's 3 yrs in a row for them. [​IMG]

http://www.cdc.gov/salmonella/live-poultry-05-14/index.html

5. Mr MKK FARMS

Mr MKK FARMS Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Sep 27, 2012
    [​IMG]

6. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    I get mine from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio. So far so good as far as illness goes here. But were they listed at all for anything? Never mind .... just read the link....duh.... :th

However, I have another not doing well. As a matter offact it's the little sleepy Favorelle from the pics. I thought she was a little bit off wanting to sleep so much. But she was eating and pooping. Had a little bit of pasty butt. Now today she's not eating and will only drink when I give her a drink. (Every hour or sooner).she pooped some today too. But she only wants to sleep. Poor little thing. I dont know if she'll get through the night. :(

Last edited: May 8, 2014
  7. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    Chicki I loved the write up about the bears! It's amazing how many people will go to the wilderness and not think about what wild animals like to do... like EAT what is available. And that their sense of smell is like 100 times that of a human. And that they are wild not a cute stuffed or tame animal they can interact with. And bears are omnivores. Ok I'm done. Silly me. I don't live that far north because 1) it gets too cold for too long and 2) there are wild beasts running about. :D

8. pollitos2013

pollitos2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Omg I cannot get these bears off my mind - are there lots of bears up here on the Sleeping Bear Lakeshore? There are occasional bear sightings in other counties but not here that I know of... I fed the birds all winter and put out the deer blocks on the edge of the woods and watched them. We had 265 inches of snow this winter and the paper kept saying to keep feeding the birds because the snow was so deep this year. We had lots of birds ay the feeder and small squirrels and chipmunks under the feeders. Our dog kept the deer off the lawn around the house and over at their blcok most of the time. We keep the trash locked in the garage or out at the road a half mile away. Am I still courting disaster with a bear? And I thought eagle attacks were scary...:th:th:th

9. chickwhispers

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    I have the Wizard of Oz going thru my head now...Lions and tigers and BEARS Oh my! Yep you all have a great place to visit up that far but I think I like living down here in NW Ohio for now. Occassionally a fox or coyote but no bears and no big cats. :D

10. ocap

ocap Overrun With Chickens

Jan 1, 2013
    Smithville, Missouri
    [​IMG]

too many fights in the chicken pen, Monday might be send some of the extra roosters to "Camp Freezer" for the summer (I have been keeping too many to help with the tick problem). I will now try and figure out which roosters to keep and let the pullets fight the ticks. My wife is a great cook and is now looking at recipes, had chicken pot pie yesterday.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by