Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Ok I will try again to post the photos of the new, almost finished, chicken run!
[/URL]

thumbsup.gif

See ya! And remember, there can't be "enough coffee" so take as many coffee breaks as needed.
wink.png

x2
caf.gif

AFTERNOON EVERYONE!

Just taking a mocha break. Still can't do too much with this stupid bad arm and banged up ankle yet, but I'm healing, probably would heal up faster if I would just behave myself but it's finally SPRING!!! I've got an entire summer's worth of to-do list already and just sitting around thinking of things to add to it isn't helping!!! I still need to get the new brooder cage/grow out pen setup built in the coop and the chicks are already two weeks old, hubby just came home with 100' of fence to replace/expand the second "play yard" for the girls, till the east garden, plant my beans, turn over the beds in the herb garden for the tomatoes, yada yada yada and the onion plants that should have been put in last week are still sitting in the fridge! Oh, did I mention we are looking at at least 3 more days of heavy rain???
barnie.gif

Bright spot. When I was on the porch a bit ago I was buzzed by a hummingbird looking for his feeder

BTW - about the bears. Lived with em' for over 20 years now. Fortunately these aren't city bears, they're still wild bears. They only come near the house in spring when they just wake up, are really hungry but food is still scarce. A little common sense and remembering we moved into their neighborhood. Bears that have become comfortable around people are far more of a problem, and dangerous, especially if you are dumb enough to set out a buffet for them. That's part of our spring problem. There was a huge old sow bear we met the first year we were on the property and she had figured out, because of some city folks that had started living in their vacation homes full time not far from us, that houses meant birdfeeders (thanks neighbors) filled with high energy sunflower seeds even when there's still snow on the ground and taught this spring trick to several generations of her cubs so we would get a visit once or twice every spring before the woods greened up and there was plenty of natural food. After a while we were'nt on the route anymore and then all at once we were again. Huh? Wait, new folks in the old farmhouse just across our field. We were already friends so I walked over. Sure enough, she had birdfeeders on her deck
smack.gif
as fate would have it, she got visited that very night with claw marks right thru her screendoor. She thought surely the little one right next to the back door would be ok. No more feeders next to the house, unfortunately, she is still usually late to take the one she still has by the edge of the woods down. I put out feeders in the winter too, but take them down long before the bear wake up and my hummer feeders come in the house every night.

The "vacation" folks had already gotten a wake up call of their own several years ago when the old sow herself had decided to show up for a nice summer evening snack and planted herself on their front porch, trapping them in the house, while she sat down and munched seed out of their fancy birdfeeders and washed it down with hummer syrup! They called the sheriff and she was still there, all stretched out, when he arrived. He thought he could scare her off with his siren but all he did was annoy her. Eventually, she got up, stretched, and started to move, s l o w l y, so he fired his shotgun thinking to get her gone a little quicker but all she did was give him the stink eye over her shoulder and a low growl
lau.gif

No one ever saw her again. She knew when it was time to disappear ahead of the fall hunt, that's how she lived so long in the first place, but she was getting so old we all figured she probably just went to den for the last time.

Oh, my!

That's a good idea. It is 92 here and I am not up for hot coffee, but iced might hit the spot.

When I did the running belly flop on the barn floor I was more upset that I had so much work to do than I was about writhing around on the barn floor in pain. I still did the spring chores, just slower and more vocally. 'ow, ouch, shoot. MAN! ow. darn it, ow,"

.. and I caught myself about to run for the phone, like- four times. So don't slip up again.
I am glad you did not fracture anything. We were both lucky.
This was me last week. I fell out of the hoop pen my kids built (read: put together) for the white Cochin chicks, scratched the inside of my arm on the palm tree, twisted two toes on the log (they're really pretty this week), and scraped my forehead on the ground (that was "really pretty" last week, but I don't have a scab anymore, just a very pink colored area).
th.gif
My DD doesn't let me climb into the hoop pen anymore (b/c she said I'm lucky I didn't kill myself falling out of it the first time.)
smack.gif

I get mine from Meyer Hatchery in Polk, Ohio. So far so good as far as illness goes here. But were they listed at all for anything? Never mind .... just read the link....duh.... :th

However, I have another not doing well. As a matter offact it's the little sleepy Favorelle from the pics. I thought she was a little bit off wanting to sleep so much. But she was eating and pooping. Had a little bit of pasty butt. Now today she's not eating and will only drink when I give her a drink. (Every hour or sooner).she pooped some today too. But she only wants to sleep. Poor little thing. I dont know if she'll get through the night. :(

Last edited:
Chicki I loved the write up about the bears! It's amazing how many people will go to the wilderness and not think about what wild animals like to do... like EAT what is available. And that their sense of smell is like 100 times that of a human. And that they are wild not a cute stuffed or tame animal they can interact with. And bears are omnivores. Ok I'm done. Silly me. I don't live that far north because 1) it gets too cold for too long and 2) there are wild beasts running about. :D

Omg I cannot get these bears off my mind - are there lots of bears up here on the Sleeping Bear Lakeshore? There are occasional bear sightings in other counties but not here that I know of... I fed the birds all winter and put out the deer blocks on the edge of the woods and watched them. We had 265 inches of snow this winter and the paper kept saying to keep feeding the birds because the snow was so deep this year. We had lots of birds ay the feeder and small squirrels and chipmunks under the feeders. Our dog kept the deer off the lawn around the house and over at their blcok most of the time. We keep the trash locked in the garage or out at the road a half mile away. Am I still courting disaster with a bear? And I thought eagle attacks were scary...:th:th:th

I have the Wizard of Oz going thru my head now...Lions and tigers and BEARS Oh my! Yep you all have a great place to visit up that far but I think I like living down here in NW Ohio for now. Occassionally a fox or coyote but no bears and no big cats. :D

caf.gif

too many fights in the chicken pen, Monday might be send some of the extra roosters to "Camp Freezer" for the summer (I have been keeping too many to help with the tick problem). I will now try and figure out which roosters to keep and let the pullets fight the ticks. My wife is a great cook and is now looking at recipes, had chicken pot pie yesterday.

Back
Top Bottom