Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Omg I cannot get these bears off my mind - are there lots of bears up here on the Sleeping Bear Lakeshore? There are occasional bear sightings in other counties but not here that I know of... I fed the birds all winter and put out the deer blocks on the edge of the woods and watched them. We had 265 inches of snow this winter and the paper kept saying to keep feeding the birds because the snow was so deep this year. We had lots of birds ay the feeder and small squirrels and chipmunks under the feeders. Our dog kept the deer off the lawn around the house and over at their blcok most of the time. We keep the trash locked in the garage or out at the road a half mile away. Am I still courting disaster with a bear? And I thought eagle attacks were scary...
th.gif
:th:th
Hi!
I know right where you are, well pretty close anyway. My dad's family farm used to be (where he grew up but long gone after his parents passed) on the high ground just off the north shore of lake Charlavoix (?). Sleeping Bear Dunes is a beautiful place. Far as I remember that whole part of the state is not the kind of area that would support a high concentration of bear like where I am now. Up here they have a hunting season with a waiting list for permits for both with (grrrrr, stupid) dogs and one without dogs in the fall to control the population. If there is no hunting season for them by you, that will tell you the population is either very low or nonexistent.

That's quite an interesting bear story. City folks just don't about natures cute creatures and other things. They complain about all of the farmer's land being posted. They go through leaving gates open scaring livestock and leaving ATV rut in the land causing erosion.

That's quite an interesting bear story. City folks just don't about natures cute creatures and other things. They complain about all of the farmer's land being posted. They go through leaving gates open scaring livestock and leaving ATV rut in the land causing erosion.
We get snowmobilers that have run over many tree seedlings and killed them. Not just a couple but like a 150 foot row of them! We even had our gates to the driveway stolen, and DSOs grandfathers antique wagon wheels and frame stolen. Evidently they think since they weren't by the pole barn and were close to the road that they were "free". :idunno :th :barnie

Last edited:
Hi!
I know right where you are, well pretty close anyway. My dad's family farm used to be (where he grew up but long gone after his parents passed) on the high ground just off the north shore of lake Charlavoix (?). Sleeping Bear Dunes is a beautiful place. Far as I remember that whole part of the state is not the kind of area that would support a high concentration of bear like where I am now. Up here they have a hunting season with a waiting list for permits for both with (grrrrr, stupid) dogs and one without dogs in the fall to control the population. If there is no hunting season for them by you, that will tell you the population is either very low or nonexistent.

Bears are not just in the North. There are bears all of the way into Middle Georgia.There is bear hunting here. Every year there are bears sighted here in yards near forested areas.

Quote: I know. The other side of my family is from the pine mountains of Kentucky just west of the Cumberland valley. I've also seen all the news lately about Florida folks getting attacked at night in their driveways and that one lady who went to check a noise in her garage and got mauled, her husband rescuing her as the bear was trying to drag her off!!! That's what happens when you destroy all an animals' habitat but don't relocate the animals. They are left no choice to survive except to attempt to reclaim their food sources.
My reference to her area of Michigan is because much of lower Michigan has been cleared as it's prime farmland, leaving few areas with large enough wild areas to support a large bear population as we have up here. Michigan still has it's fair share too, or at least did. I remember as a kid people near Flint going to the dump to "bear watch" in the evening.

Last edited:
I hope the bears have all woken up, drunk their coffee and moved on!

Quick question for my chicken friends (be gentle, I am very green...) Should I continue to use wood shavings for my chickens or can I use sawdust as I just got 16 cubic yards delivered for horse stalls?

I think I remember that sawdust is too dusty for chickens?

:idunno

Back
Top Bottom