Sitting with a cup of coffee. (coffee lovers)

Discussion in 'Random Ramblings' started by Mr MKK FARMS, Sep 23, 2013.

1. chickisoup

chickisoup one Blessed chicki Premium Member

Well, the broody is sitting on 4 Black Copper Marans eggs, one Black sex link, one EE egg, and one unknown, lol. I think it will be a buff/marans mix. All of them are from my own flock. I'm trying to decide whether I should take the chicks while they hatch, then return them when all the eggs are done, or to finish incubating them, then give the new chicks to her. Which should go smoother?

@saltandpepper2
    How far apart are the eggs? Remember a hen can lay eggs for many days before she decides to stop laying and just "park" on them.

Last edited: May 10, 2014
  2. GAFarmGirl87

GAFarmGirl87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    Good Morning :caf

Looks like the bottom is about to fall out outside. Need to go feed the brood before it rains.

But, coffee first.

3. GAFarmGirl87

GAFarmGirl87 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 27, 2013
    NW Georgia
    @saltandpepper2 You have a broody? Exciting! Me too! One of my game hens has been broody about a week. :)

4. saltandpepper2

saltandpepper2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mine has also been broody for about a week. It going to be a little difficult at the end though, since there's up to a 6 day difference in some of the eggs. Hopefully it will be alright though! What is your broody sitting on?

5. pollitos2013

pollitos2013 Chillin' With My Peeps

Good morning! I have weird dead things on the front lawn - look like a cross between a rat and an ugly mole - short tails - that my cats killed... are they voles?!

I also have small human voles aged 9 and 11 but they are not well trained yet... They can't even make coffee!

:hugs

6. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013

We do still like coffee here and chickens. Welcome to BYC and coffe lovers.

Byron.

7. Highcotton

Highcotton Southern Chickens

Mar 18, 2013

My voles are untrainable, commonly known as grandchildren. And, they are far from free.

8. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop
    :D Morning!. I'm at work, so this may be short.

Chicki and pollitos we can try to round up som 2 legged voles for you, but currently there is a shortage so ot may take awhile. Shipping goes by weight. :)

Pollitos those were indeed 4 legged voles. My cats do tbe same thing. sometimes they bring me a present of them. Last week my present was half of a crayfish. :lau

Great post about the Chicken wisperer Chicki! Thanks!

GAFarmgirl87 that's the storm my hens were playing in.

Time for coffee and work. Everyone have a great day!!!! :frow

9. chickwhispers

chickwhispers A French Hen

Apr 16, 2012
    Northwest OH
    My Coop

I have some of those too and they are somewhat trainable but yes they are far from free and some of the shipping costs are very high. :idunno

10. Alaskan

Alaskan The Frosted Flake

We have been playing merry ground with our broody. :rolleyes:

She was on eggs.... None successfully hatched, we took out the eggs and stuffed four chicks, about two weeks old, under her. About every four hours we swapped out which four chicks she was taking care of because it has been so blasted cold, even with a heat lamp, I was worried the chicks would get too cold and die.

It took her awhile to really get into the mothering mood. She is doing better now, and it looks like the weather is getting warmer.

If it gets a bit warmer we will toss out a bunch more chicks and see how she does with them.

Soooooooo drum roll please, SO HAPPY! My first two sets of shipped eggs, I got about a 1/4 hatch rate, :sick
    Set number three, ALL except one sure acted like unfertilized eggs, but maybe they never did ANYTHING because most had bubbled air cells. :confused: Anyway, the only egg that had any development at all, hatched PERFECTLY, totally unassisted, totally healthy navel, totally perfect (i.e. Two eyes).

:ya

Oh, on other news, for the first time in a long while we had an earthquake, epicenter close to our neighborly volcano, so about 18 miles away, scored an 5.8 :ya

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by