Six Chick Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by fuzzy5chicks, Aug 22, 2013.

1. fuzzy5chicks

fuzzy5chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    MI
    I am going to be building a brooder for my six chicks. I was thinking that I would give each chick 3sq. ft of space. Is that too much? How long should I keep my day-old chicks in the brooder. I'm getting them in October so I think once it is time to move them to the coop it will be pretty chilly outside. If you have any good DIY brooder ideas please post a pic!

2. Your situation depends on where you live. How cold it will be outside ect. Maybe a target of 6 weeks will be good for your situation but you will have to be the one to figure that out. Your dimensions will be plenty. The longer you keep them in the brooder the bigger you will want it to be

I usually brood for 4 weeks. That is when they feather out. I have at times during the heat of summer brooded for only 2 weeks and then put them out with the heat of a lamp still. I live in warm temps and that affects my decisions.

Here is my brooder. I like doing 5 at a time.

[​IMG]

Wish ya the best.

3. fuzzy5chicks

fuzzy5chicks Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    MI
    Average Low: 14F (in coldest month)

4. Yes I would likely brood for six weeks. And your size is good. MI is cold isn't it? I have family in Muskegon and they see snow frequently in Oct. So keep em warm and draft free and you'll be alright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by