Six Chicks Farm - coop almost complete (pic heavy)

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Firegirl, Jun 12, 2011.

1. Firegirl

Firegirl Out Of The Brooder

Apr 26, 2011
    It seems like the journey to our coop has been taking forever. We got our first chicks in February and the planning began. We're only allowed 6 chickens in the city so I knew the coop would be on the small side. I also wanted to keep the costs as low as I could because we're investing in a large garden this year and saving for our first ever vacation! So I looked on here, gathered ideas and then tried to convey my thoughts to my wonderful DH who got roped into building the coop. The coop morphed as it was being built either because I saw something different I wanted to do, a design flaw came into play or DH had some idea he wanted to do. We built the coop itself out of some old pallets I got at work, some cull wood from Home Depot and some fencing pickets. DH insisted on new 2 x 4's for the framing. I also wanted to have part of the roof to be the plastic/vinyl piece so the chicks could have sun light before they're let out in the mornings. The run was built using the wood from the kids old swing set (free to us 8 years ago too) and a chain link gate marked free we found a few years ago at the end of a driveway. I knew it would come in handy one day. We still have a few last things to finish up like wood around the base of the run (hence the hay bales), a little bit of painting and perhaps moving the nesting boxes to be external. I plan to put some solid roofing on half the run and grow some kind of plant up the side of the run to provide more shade and perhaps snacks. (Any suggestions?)

Here's the framing being done
    [​IMG]

DH double wielding the drills
    [​IMG]

My less than thrilled DD14 helping build the run
    [​IMG]

Finished enough to move the big chicks out. Still needing the top of the run done but the tarp worked in the meantime
    [​IMG]

Roosts. The top was not planned that way but the girls made themselves at home on the wood piece laying there. I guess to be able to see outside. So we screwed it down and they use it all the time.
    [​IMG]

This part of the roof lifts for cleaning and egg collection (once that day arrives)
    [​IMG]

Backside of the coop with access door, ventilation and sunroof
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The nesting boxes (likely to be moved to be external on the backside before the babies get moved to the coop) - Design flaw
    [​IMG]

Under the coop - the girls take their dust baths here or just hang in the shade.
    [​IMG]

2. JP101010

JP101010 Chillin' With My Peeps

Wow what a great idea to put the coop half in and half out of the run- Great Job! Thanks for posting your Pics you should enter the 2011 coop contest!!

3. Gardengirl 2011

Gardengirl 2011 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 3, 2011
    Central Florida
    Looks great! [​IMG] There's always tweaking to do when you think you're done, lol. Your girls look happy.

4. chickNpink

chickNpink Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2009
    Missouri
    Looks GREAT! Thanks for sharing! Gave me some ideas [​IMG] Will be building ours soon......our girls demand it!

5. ladyride

ladyride Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 30, 2011
    East Tn
    love that color good job [​IMG]

6. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    Very nice!

7. GardenGal

GardenGal Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 11, 2011
    Western WA
    Great job!!! Gotta love free lumber [​IMG]

8. Omran

Omran Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2008
    Bagdad KY
    looks very nice coop.

9. FuzzyHeartFarm

FuzzyHeartFarm Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2011
    Lebam, Washington
    I love the color! And that pop door is just too cute!! [​IMG]

10. WestKnollAmy

WestKnollAmy The Crazy Chicken Lady Premium Member

Apr 22, 2008
    upstate SC
    T-totally awesome! [​IMG]
    I love the design and the color of your coop.

I wish I could build as pretty a coop as that. Very functional, airy and so nice to look at.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by