It seems like the journey to our coop has been taking forever. We got our first chicks in February and the planning began. We're only allowed 6 chickens in the city so I knew the coop would be on the small side. I also wanted to keep the costs as low as I could because we're investing in a large garden this year and saving for our first ever vacation! So I looked on here, gathered ideas and then tried to convey my thoughts to my wonderful DH who got roped into building the coop. The coop morphed as it was being built either because I saw something different I wanted to do, a design flaw came into play or DH had some idea he wanted to do. We built the coop itself out of some old pallets I got at work, some cull wood from Home Depot and some fencing pickets. DH insisted on new 2 x 4's for the framing. I also wanted to have part of the roof to be the plastic/vinyl piece so the chicks could have sun light before they're let out in the mornings. The run was built using the wood from the kids old swing set (free to us 8 years ago too) and a chain link gate marked free we found a few years ago at the end of a driveway. I knew it would come in handy one day. We still have a few last things to finish up like wood around the base of the run (hence the hay bales), a little bit of painting and perhaps moving the nesting boxes to be external. I plan to put some solid roofing on half the run and grow some kind of plant up the side of the run to provide more shade and perhaps snacks. (Any suggestions?) Here's the framing being done DH double wielding the drills My less than thrilled DD14 helping build the run Finished enough to move the big chicks out. Still needing the top of the run done but the tarp worked in the meantime Roosts. The top was not planned that way but the girls made themselves at home on the wood piece laying there. I guess to be able to see outside. So we screwed it down and they use it all the time. This part of the roof lifts for cleaning and egg collection (once that day arrives) Backside of the coop with access door, ventilation and sunroof The nesting boxes (likely to be moved to be external on the backside before the babies get moved to the coop) - Design flaw Under the coop - the girls take their dust baths here or just hang in the shade.