Six Double Yolkers

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Capvin, Dec 10, 2011.

1. Capvin

Capvin Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lake Placid, FL
    What are the chances of finding half a dozen double yolk eggs in a single egg box purchased from a store. The BBC is reporting that two friends were cooking and in the process were cracking eggs in a mixing bowl and the first four eggs they cracked were all double yolkers. According to some Brit egg info service only one in every thousand eggs on average is a double yolker. Then the likelihood of finding four in a row is one in one trillion...12 zeroes. The article then went on to discuss how double yolkers are made and that most of them are made by young hens, 20 to 28 weeks old.

2. lorain's fids

lorain's fids Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 9, 2011
    New Jersey
    Quote:Wow- that is something!
    If I am ever to get a double yolker from any of my 5 girls they better start laying eggs soon then-they will be 25 weeks Wednesday, so then they would only have about 3 or so weeks left to lay double yolks! LOL!!![​IMG]

3. TroutsChicks

TroutsChicks Fluffy Stuffins

Jun 5, 2011
    baxter Tn
    I have 3 double yolkers in my fridge...they are huge I want to blow them out..I ate one. I have had 4 out of 16 pullets and no more.. [​IMG]

4. for about a week straight I had anywhere from 1 to 4 in one day (every day) about 2 weeks after my NHR's started laying. I think they were 25 weeks old the week they laid all those doubles. I have not had another in 6 months. I hear though it is extremely rare to find them in cartons from the store. I can only remember 2 times in my life I had them from the store (the first 35 years of my life)

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  5. D3invertebrates

D3invertebrates Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 6, 2011
    Brookshire, TX
    Ive gotten quite a few double yolks from both my chickens and my quail, its seems they lay some right around the time they first start laying eggs. I thought about incubating some but a friend said they wouldnt hatch so I never tried, anyone every try with any success?

6. stephanie munson

stephanie munson Out Of The Brooder

Oct 9, 2011
    I seem to get alot of Dbls also . I can always tell because they are larger,does something cause this?

7. CheerioLounge

CheerioLounge Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 10, 2011
    California High Desert
    I don't really know what causes it, but what a great surprise when they give us one!!

8. hemet dennis

hemet dennis Chillin' With My Peeps

Quote:Yes there is a couple people that hatched some

9. ChickenPeep

ChickenPeep Faith & Feathers

May 1, 2011
    Olathe, Kansas
    I get a double yolker from my hens about once every other week.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2011
  10. kayjan

kayjan Out Of The Brooder

Apr 19, 2011
    Southeast Louisana
    I have one chicken that has given me 10 double yolkers. Haven't had any in a couple of weeks so maybe she got tired of straining so much to get that big thing out. [​IMG] I imagine she screams every time she lays a double yolker. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by