1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Six foot fence?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Jdc361, Mar 2, 2015.

1. Jdc361

Jdc361 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 14, 2015
    So I am going to buy 6 chickens and am building the coop from pallets. I am going to make a run with a 6 foot fence but no roof. Which breeds won't fly out?

2. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Heritage breeds tend to be too heavy, once grown to get that high. Leghorns, California White, most of the light bodied birds can and do fly quite well. Barred Rocks, RIR's, the dual purpose breeds are gravity restricted, at least around my place. You have quite a large choice to choose from, and I prefer them anyway.

Best to you and your new birds,

RJ

3. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    I would worry more about what would drop in than them getting out. Most heavy breeds like Black Australorp and Buff Orpingtons will stay put quite well. No lid on the run means hawks can drop in and fox, raccoons can climb in for a lunch or dinner.

Hamburgs would be up and out with ease.
    I had mine in the human yard and was shocked when the hamburgs got startled and went over the run with no take off room either. They both launched from behind the run which is only 3 feet from the property line fence. They were headed to me for protection from whatever scared them. I was completely on the other side of the run and never saw what the fuss was about.

4. Percheron chick

Percheron chick Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 12, 2013
    Boulder, Colorado
    Most adult dual purpose hens are too heavy to fly much more than 4feet. A slender light hen like a leghorn would be more apt to fly over it.

5. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    You will want to cover the roof of the run, with chicken wire if nothing else, to keep hawks out. In general the heavier breeds won't fly that high, but many critters can get in. My coop and run are tall enough that I can walk in, a much more pleasant way to manage things. Build big; extra space is always good. You won't hear complaints from people about having too large a coop and run. Mary

6. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    I really wasn't planning on putting a roof on the run:( is there any breeds that are good at defending themselves or any other way to protect them?

7. Folly's place

Folly's place Overrun With Chickens

Sep 13, 2011
    southern Michigan
    Everyone loves chicken! You might not loose birds in the uncovered run, but then again you might. The more like Ft. Knox that you build, the fewer disasters you'll have. [​IMG] In general, larger birds are less at risk than bantams, and the games are more likely to fight an intruder. No chicken can win at night, or against a canine. Mary

8. Jdc361

Feb 14, 2015
    Ok thanks!!!

9. Primo

Primo Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2013
    Texas
    Use fence that does not have a top rail. Example, horse fence and field fence. Chickens are less likely to fly out if they don't see a solid landing perch at the top of the fence.

10. 21hens-incharge

21hens-incharge Overrun With Chickens

Mar 9, 2014
    Northern Colorado
    Personally I go with the lock it or lose it theory after a very close call with a hawk. I was not very far from the hen and it still managed to swoop in and try to grab her. I was in my workshop and she was in the garden not more than 30 feet from me. Scared us both pretty good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by