Six hens and only one or two eggs a day?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Egg_newton, May 26, 2010.

1. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I have one orpington and three white rock hens that are a year old and two EE I'm not sure how old they are but were both laying almost everyday last summer. Now I'm lucky to get two a day. One of the EE was having trouble with soft shelled eggs for a long time and now only lays once a week at the most. I think one of the white rocks is eating eggs I've caught her before and have found yolk in the nesting box from time to time. I've treated for internal and external parasites and everyone appears to be of good weight and bright combed. I don't think it is the weather because this has been going on for months. They are on a 17% layer feed and oyster shell free choice. What else can I do to get these girls butts in gear?

2. Egg_newton

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    We had so hot peppers from last year's garden hung up and dried (cayenne, thai, tabassco, etc.) So, I ground them up and added it to their food also sprinkled so red pepper flakes on the ground and they ate them up. We'll see what happens...

3. skeeter03

skeeter03 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 23, 2009
    Vernon
    Chickens will take a break from laying for a bit. It seems all my hens did as soon as my one hen went broody it lasted about 1 - 2 weeks that I would only get about 5 eggs a day rather then the usual 10. are the molting maybe?

4. Egg_newton

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    No I don't think it is molting. Everyone appears to have beautiful feathers and this has been going on for a while. [​IMG]

5. pwand

pwand Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 10, 2007
    BC Canada
    I have three hens that should be laying, however, I am not getting any eggs much at all. Today I cleaned them out and there is now signs of them starting to molt.

6. OKbirdwatcher

OKbirdwatcher Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2009
    NE Oklahoma
    Welcome to the club, Egg_newton.

Our girls have dropped way off and it did seem to coincide with one of them going broody. This was about 4 weeks ago! We haven't found any other problems/causes. [​IMG]

7. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Flock Master Premium Member

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    One winter I thought my egg production was down. Turns out it was fine - but rats were getting into my coop and stealing the eggs.

8. trunkman

trunkman Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 26, 2009
    Rock Hill SC
    I have 5 white rock adult hens and get 6 eggs a week, talk about frustration! I have introduced new chicks to the coop but it's been 6 weeks now, I think they just like being slackers. I'll wait another month or so till I do something about it, that should be more than enough time for them to adjust I think.... [​IMG]

9. fishermans wife

fishermans wife Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 2, 2009
    Ventura County
    My hens have done the same thing - had 2 go broody, let them hatch eggs - the other 4 laid consistently until the babies hatched....then down to 1 egg a day for over 2 weeks....got 3 today - never thought I'd be so happy with 3 eggs from 6 hens! Must be something related to having broody hens.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by