Six hens... seven eggs?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by ginger girl, Nov 24, 2011.

1. ginger girl

ginger girl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    My girls just started laying the end of October (except Ginger...she was an early bloomer). I have noticed a few times that we get seven eggs with six hens? Is this unusual?

2. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Depends on when you gather eggs and whether you gather every day, at precisely the same time. In other words, you could collect at 3 pm one day, and pick up 5 eggs, but a hen could lay "behind" you at 3:30. Next day, you come to collect at 4 pm and ta da. Seven eggs. Happens all the time.

3. littlecreekfarm

littlecreekfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 1, 2011
    Virginia
    hmm.....well they lay one egg every 24 hours so maybe she lays at a certian time or i don't really know...it will be interesting to see what everyone else says [​IMG]

4. ginger girl

ginger girl Out Of The Brooder

Nov 23, 2011
    No, I go early every morning, usually 1 or 2 eggs, then while I'm doing my work, I collect and go back around noon and then usually 5 or 6. We took six this am and when I checked tonight, there's another in the nest. I didn't check at noon because we had already had 6 eggs.

5. sherylreno

sherylreno Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Reno, Nevada
    Quote:Was one of them perhaps a very thinned shelled egg? It's possible it's a wind egg?

6. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

Obviously, you have an extra chicken using a Romulan cloaking device.

7. liz allen

liz allen Out Of The Brooder

Jul 4, 2011
    [​IMG]:lau

8. Stephanie739

Stephanie739 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 7, 2011
    Why is it so difficult to believe that chickens may lay more than one egg a day? This is very frustrating to me. I have seen many people post about this, including myself. Its really not that unbelievable. Consider how a woman ovulates - one egg a month is the norm, then consider those who have fraternal twins. The norm? No, but unconceivable, no. [​IMG]

Good for you on your great egg laying chicks! If you do some research, both on this forum and a random web search, you will more testimonies of more than one egg a day. [​IMG]
    I have gotten double eggs on many days, so unless the egg fairy is dropping by or someone is playing a joke on me, it is most definitely real. My breeds were developed as egg laying machines. It doesn't even sound unusual to me anymore.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by