1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

six hens too many for drake?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by heatherindeskies, Sep 28, 2011.

1. heatherindeskies

heatherindeskies Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2010
    SE Minnesota
    I have call ducks... will 6 hens for Mr. Nibbles be too many for a good hatch rate? (Lucky Mr Nibbles!!)

2. DUCKGIRL89

DUCKGIRL89 Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2011
    TN
    Quote:Well, I wouldnt get more then that

3. SkyWarrior

SkyWarrior Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 2, 2010
    Wilds of Montana
    I know of a woman whose drake ended up producing 44 ducklings. I don't know how many ducks, but it was quite a few.

4. ericwaddle3

ericwaddle3 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 6, 2011
    Really depends on the Drake, thats kinda on the upside, but a Drake thats an aggresive breeder should be able to take care of his duties just fine.

5. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    i wouldnt put more then 3 hens with him. he can run the risk of becomming infertile due to a deforminty i dont want to explain right now! (if u catch my drift) he wont be able to retract himself.

Try to find another male!

6. newbyduckmom

newbyduckmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 18, 2011
    Snohomish County, WA
    Ducks are interesting...amazing all the things you need to know that you never thought of! Too many ducks, too many drakes, not enough ducks! Gone are the days when I thought getting 4 ducks was just getting four ducks! (then six.....and I keep looking at everyone's pics and wanting more!)

As an aside, I assume it is not unusual for ducks to play favorites where mating is concerned? I have one very aggressive Khaki drake that prefers my Magpie duck, and the Khaki ducks court the Magpie drake to no end. They won't have anything to do with the Khaki drakes - even fight them off when they try to mate with them.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2011
  7. grawg

grawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 31, 2011
    East Tennessee
    So you can have too many ducks per drake? I was going to keep 1 drake and get only ducks for a 1 to 10 ratio...

8. animalpro24

animalpro24 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2011
    Oregon
    I have 6 girls to one male and they are perfectly fine. I'm not breeding or anything but it's works. He chooses 2 or 3 of them to mate with, maybe more.

9. jbourget

jbourget Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 4, 2008
    CT
    No no..........this only applies for call ducks because they are so small... thats what she asked about here. Any other standard breed is fine with mroe ducks to breed. althought i would have 2 with 10 hens..

10. duckielub

duckielub Out Of The Brooder

Aug 20, 2011
    Kentwood
    My dad always told me: One female and the rest males and the population will become extinct, but one male, and the rest females and the population will explode.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by