Six-ish week old black copper marans chick. What gender?

Discussion in 'What Breed Or Gender is This?' started by aubreynoramarie, Aug 4, 2011.

1. aubreynoramarie

aubreynoramarie designated lawn flamingo

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    I honestly don't remember when I hatched this chick (I know! In terrible! How you guys know your pullets are 16 wks old is beyond me!) but I think it is between 6 and 8 weeks. I am stumped on it's gender though.

Please bear in mind that my phone makes the comb look very red. It is a Lightish pink, which still seems premature, but it is by no means red. Thank you!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. <3ChickenForever

<3ChickenForever Fire Is Catching

Feb 20, 2011
    WI
    Pullet?

3. stormylady

stormylady Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2008
    Illinois
    just a guess but because you said your camera is making it look redder than it really is I won't go by that but the wattles look kinda big for 8 weeks to me and She/he also has pretty big legs Im going to guess roo. Hope Im wrong!

4. spikennipper

spikennipper Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 25, 2009
    Kent, UK.
    I'm gonna say pullet too.

5. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    Side note- it is okay with me if it's a roo, I actually want it to be! But the lady I got it from thinks pullet

6. ccshambhala

ccshambhala Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 8, 2008
    Va
    this is a pic of my 4 bcms @ 5 weeks - I was thinking yours was a roo til I rechecked my pics lol now I'd say yours is a pullet (but you never know.... the comb on yours looks sooo red which throws me off )

[​IMG]

7. The Burg Peeps

The Burg Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 9, 2011
    Ontario
    I am thinking pullet as well. I have to imagine the comb would be a bit more developed and red if it were a cockerel. Still, only time will tell.

8. aubreynoramarie

May 27, 2010
    Reno, Nevada
    In the inside pictures the comb an wattles look redder than they really are. I don't know why.

Well shoot- the one time I actually WANT a roo! Go figure, haha

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by