Six missing chickens...

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Mayumerryb, Aug 8, 2014.

1. Mayumerryb

Mayumerryb New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    I'm new to raising chickens. I started with 13 chicks, raised them by hand, built a fantastic coop that they seemed to love, kept food and water ever - ready and allowed them to free range in our half acre backyard. Last week, six went missing at once, with no trace of attack or obvious escape route- except over the six foot wooden fence. After they went missing, I realized that I needed to clip wings. :/ I am wondering if anyone has any ideas on where my chickens might have taken off to.

2. WeBeCluckin

WeBeCluckin Out Of The Brooder

Aug 4, 2014
    Spokane Wa
    Have you found them yet? My chickens usually don't wander too far from the hen house but when they do, they tend to hide in underbrush. Try mimicking their sounds while you're looking for them...you might get a coo back. They likely hopped up onto something in your yard and used that to fly up onto the fence. Good chance they couldn't get back over once they got there. Hopefully they're not too far.

3. Mayumerryb

Mayumerryb New Egg

Feb 16, 2014
    Not yet. I have searched the yard already but the neighborhood is next. I will try the cooing! Good idea!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by