Six month old chickens stopped eating

laura2002

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 25, 2012
North Shore, MA
I'm hoping someone has an answer to why my chicks seem to be on a hunger strike...I have hens and on rooster, I'm feeding them layer pellets, I have been since they were 18 weeks. Now, all of a sudden, they aren't eating it, in fact, they are tossing dirt into the feeder, covering the food (feeder is raised, so that they wouldn't get dirt into it, accidentally). I'm feeding them scratch and veggies, they seem to like those. Are they just being picky?? Don't know if this is a factor, but they just started laying. HELP!! Thanks, in advance!!

You don't say how old they are now. i.e., how long have they been eating layer feed?

Your first move would be to stop all other feedstuffs, the veggies and scratch.

If they have no other choice, they'll eat the feed.

Hi ChickenCanoe,

Thanks for your answer...they are six months old tomorrow, have been eating pellets for six weeks. I did try not giving them other options (scratch, greens, etc) , but after three days, I felt like they really needed to eat something, they aren't my first flock, but this is definitely the first time I've had this issue!

I'm hoping someone has an answer to why my chicks seem to be on a hunger strike...I have hens and on rooster, I'm feeding them layer pellets, I have been since they were 18 weeks. Now, all of a sudden, they aren't eating it, in fact, they are tossing dirt into the feeder, covering the food (feeder is raised, so that they wouldn't get dirt into it, accidentally). I'm feeding them scratch and veggies, they seem to like those. Are they just being picky?? Don't know if this is a factor, but they just started laying. HELP!! Thanks, in advance!!

Hi laura2002,

We recommend switching to a complete layer feed at 18-20 weeks of age. Given that your birds are already 6 months old, they are ready to be transitioned to a layer feed. To help ease the transition, consider mixing your current grower crumble with the new layer crumble feed so your birds get used to the new taste. The key to successfully using a complete layer feed is to make sure that it makes up at least 90% of your birds’ diet, meaning that up to 10% of the diet can be treats/scraps/supplements. By following this 90/10 rule, your birds should receive all of the nutrients provided in your complete layer feed. If you increase treats and scraps in the diet, this can dilute the nutrient profile and subsequently, your birds will fall short of the nutrients they need.

Having the same problem....My 34wk old Wynadottes that are STILL NOT laying, not eating like they used to. If I feed them from my hand, they'll come and eat but I can't be doing that. Stopped ALL treats & just leaving their (FF) food out over night, this morning it was gone. Looks like I'll be doing it again :( What gives?

Back
Top Bottom