Six months and still no eggs: Silkie and d'Uccle

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Dec 28, 2011.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

Is it common for Silkies and Belgian Mille Fleur d'Uccles to lay late? I know Silkies aren't big layers, but I thought I'd get at least a few eggs from her. They are almost six and a half months old and so far, nada...[​IMG]

2. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I'm in the same boat. My silkie hen is 28 weeks old and NOTHING. [​IMG]

3. bawkbawkbawk

So frustrating, isn't it? These girls need to get to work!

4. wbruder17

wbruder17 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2010
    Portland, OR
    Its wintertime. Chickens don't lay much in the winter anyway, so add that onto 2 non-production birds that are also very young and that equals= you will just have to keep waiting. They will lay sooner or later. They are just like people, some girls get their periods at age 11, others not til 16....

5. StarLover21

StarLover21 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 11, 2011
    Quote:Patience. My LEGHORN is 28 weeks and...nothing.

6. SilkieChickenLover336

SilkieChickenLover336 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2011
    New Jersey
    I have 2 silkies and theu are 8 mo and not laying.... at all

7. bawkbawkbawk

Does wintertime count in Southern California? My other three young ones (SS, EE and BCM) are laying very nicely and have been since they were 5 months old.

8. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    Wintertime is Wintertime. Though cold does have something to do with hens not laying, they also lay according to the amount of daylight there is. Summer = more daylight, winter = less daylight. So when you take in accordance the time of year and how old you girls are you may have to wait longer than usual in the wintertime for new ones to start to lay. [​IMG]

9. Gersbud

Gersbud Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2007
    Central Michigan
    TO Bawkbawkbawk:

The 3 speckeled sussex that I had were all nutso. LOL. They were the weirdest [​IMG] hens I had. I miss them dearly since they were my first chickens along with my EE's [​IMG]

10. jpcode

jpcode Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 8, 2011
    Sacramento
    No So Cal dose not have a winter, as far as chickens are concerned.

Those of you who are frustrated. Chicks that hatch in June and July will mature in the winter and take longer. The best hatch time in my opinion is late March early April if you want quick maturity.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by