Six months old rooster but not developing!!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Ameer894, Nov 24, 2013.

1. Ameer894

Ameer894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2013
    Hey people
    I have a question to you about my two roosters. As everyone told me they are mixed breed...They are at least 6 months old
    1) Why are they so small and their combs not like adult roosters' combs? They don't show any sexual activity. The orange one is so aggressive, and always is engaged in fights with ducks and other chicken breeds!
    2)They are not crowing? Could it be a disease or something?
    3)If I want to eat them(Because I have another young amazing rooster) could I? As you see one of them has something chronic in his left eye and the other has some weird marks on his face?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

And this is my young one, he looks ok isn't he? He is just less than 3 moths old and started practicing crowing! Sometimes He gives chase to my cat too :)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

2. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon
    Roosters begin to crow at different times and develop at different rates, and not all roos have humongous combs. Also, if you have a dominant rooster, juvenile roosters will often lay low and not actively seek hens. Since they are mixed breeds, unless you know for certain what breeds, it is possible there may be some smaller bird breeds mixed in to make them naturally smaller.

Having said that, I think disease may be a culprit. The one photo of the bird with the funny bumps appears to have fowl pox...a viral infection that can slow rate of growth. It spreads slowly through the flock by direct contact and through mosquitoes (although this time of the year, I doubt that is an issue). Is it possible the other roo had this as well?

There is no treatment, but you should separate out the birds that appear sick.

You can read about it hear:
    https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/avian-pox-how-to-treat-your-chickens-for-avian-pox

My thoughts.
    Lady of McCamley

Last edited: Nov 24, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  3. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    Amazing thank you then I did right when I separated them.
    I would get rid of them, I don't want even their babies if they assemble them;bad genetics.
    Is it risky to eat them? I believe the folk is threatened by them :/

4. RedJungleFowl

RedJungleFowl Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Noting is wrongs my black australorp took a good 8 month to fully crow and have a big comb like grown one also when it was 6 month old it was fighting with the new chickens already I was shock to find out that it could fight at such a young age u could eat them now if u want but if u want more meat save them and wait a few more month then u will get a big fat meat rooster. Also u shouldn't worry cause when mine was 6 month old it didn't even have a tail as long as your's so nothing wrong.
    [​IMG]
    U can see the comb on it, it's small.
    [​IMG]
    another one.
    [​IMG]
    My brown leg horn cockerel
    [​IMG]
    And after month of waiting this is my reward.
    [​IMG]
    another view. so don't stress out on it.

5. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    WOOOOOW !!! [​IMG]
    I can't believe, What a great pictures ... You have just put in me so much enthusiasm and hope
    I just re-calculated their age, they could be about five-six months old ... then I'll wait until winter is finished(3 months later) ... And so I'll give them time to show their ability
    I'll get one of two, God welling: Rooster with so much meat, or Full grown amazing rooster with loud crowing

Best wishes
    :) Thnx

6. appps

appps Overrun With Chickens

Aug 29, 2012
    Australia
    So nobody quite answered the question. Can you eat a rooster with fowl pox? Honestly I'm surprised at the continued suggestions to do so, I wouldn't be that hungry lol. The growths on it look gross.

7. Lady of McCamley

Lady of McCamley Overrun With Chickens

Mar 19, 2011
    NW Oregon

Fowl Pox is not contagious to humans. However I personally choose to never eat a sick bird. I'm not that hungry and overall feel it is geneally an unwise thing to do as one illness can cause secondary oportunistic infections while the birds immune system is down (for example E-coli overgrowth).

Birds normally recover from fowl pox unless it is a particularly virulent strain, but is does take a few weeks. Separation from the flock is important to contain the disease's spread as is good general care to avoid the possible secondary oportunistic infections.

Lady of McCamley

8. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Yup just wait and u will get fresh fat meat.

9. Ameer894

Oct 26, 2013
    Nope. They were so bad mixed breed dude. I threw them away.(not developing nor getting healthier)
    here is my new boss:
    [​IMG]

10. RedJungleFowl

Apr 23, 2012
    Cailfornia
    Aw sorry to hear that the new one look's really pretty tho! I guess the reason y they didn't grow was because maybe they are that size or maybe there sick and couldn't grow no more.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by