Six Sweet Sick Chicks 12 weeks young

mkfspikey

In the Brooder
Apr 23, 2017
Tennessee
2 Americanas, 2 Reds, 1 Silver Lace Wyandotte, and 1(the sweetest) Buff Orpington.
Got them all at 2-3 weeks old, right after Easter. They've done great and seem to get on well,so far, with one another.
I'm brand new to chicken raising and have been absorbed in educating myself about all the do's and don'ts.
A friend read where they like cheese and began treating them with it every day. After about day 5 of this, when I went to open the coop I heard a scary sort of barking or small donkey sound. One of them was sick but I couldn't figure which one! Now all of them have sounded "hoarse" when they chirp.
I've been putting garlic cloves and apple cider vinegar in their water and gathering and chopping up herbs (rosemary, oregano, dill, lemon grass, and thyme) topped with cinnamon and adding it to their food. Also treated each with a drop of Vet RX by beak and rubbing it onto their heads, necks, and under their wings. No more barking and a little less hoarseness but I'm still concerned.
Does anyone else know what I can do to help them get well?
Was it possibly too much cheese that caused this respiratory type illness?
They haven't had any more cheese and seem to act normally, eating, drinking, and foraging, to date.
I also wonder at what age their chirps turn into more adult sounding clucks?
I'm hoping their voices are just changing.
HELP!!!

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I too have never heard of cheese being fed regularly to chicks or chickens. But as you have now stopped this I would think this could have been the cause of some of the issues. How's the ventilation in their coop? Do you have plenty of it? Sometimes things can be picked up from a dusty environment.

Good luck with them in the future and I'm sure if you post in the emergency section you will get lots more help.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow

Have they had free choice of chick grit available? Were they eatin more treats than feed? How do their crops feel and can you smell "bad breath" like a possible sour crop? Is poop normal? Have you changed to a different bedding? Or used somethin new when cleanin the brooder or coop where you have them? I most likely cannot help but others may ask questions like these to get more info to help you.

Sometimes friends don't give the best advice. But, if they are back to normal hopefully no harm done. Chickens also shouldn't be given milk, some people do but, they aren't mammals.

Hi and welcome to BYC. I've never heard of anyone feeding cheese to chickens :eek: Good that you cut that out of their diet. Respiratory issues can be caused by a number of things - fungus, allergies, bacteria and viruses are the main causes.

I'd suggest posting your question on the ER forum where the experts can advise -
Please read this link first: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

Then post on this link:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck
CT

Hi and welcome to BYC. I've never heard of anyone feeding cheese to chickens :eek: Good that you cut that out of their diet. Respiratory issues can be caused by a number of things - fungus, allergies, bacteria and viruses are the main causes.

I'd suggest posting your question on the ER forum where the experts can advise -
Please read this link first: https://www.backyardchickens.com/threads/have-an-emergency-disease-please-read-first.3569/

Then post on this link:

http://www.backyardchickens.com/f/10/emergencies-diseases-injuries-and-cures

Good luck
CT
I'm amazed and delighted with all the help and suggestions here! Thank you all so much for your generosity!
Unfortunately I heard the "groan or bark sound" again this morning. I will post in the emergency section directly.
One more question first.... the one I believe made the sound, is the only one with a bright red "comb". Is it possible my hen could be a rooster trying to crow? I've only heard the sound twice and both times in the morning.
I'll try to post a pic. soon, if she/he doesn't turn out to be deathly ill .

Hi :welcome

Glad you could join us here! I too have never heard of cheese being fed regularly to chicks or chickens. But as you have now stopped this I would think this could have been the cause of some of the issues. How's the ventilation in their coop? Do you have plenty of it? Sometimes things can be picked up from a dusty environment.

Good luck with them in the future and I'm sure if you post in the emergency section you will get lots more help.

Enjoy your time here on BYC and all the chicken chat :frow
Thank you! Yes to all the above.

Have they had free choice of chick grit available? Were they eatin more treats than feed? How do their crops feel and can you smell "bad breath" like a possible sour crop? Is poop normal? Have you changed to a different bedding? Or used somethin new when cleanin the brooder or coop where you have them? I most likely cannot help but others may ask questions like these to get more info to help you.
Thanks for all the questions. Maybe not enough grit, but they free range in a large fenced area all day. They are eating tons of grower/starter food, alongside bugs,clover,herbs,..sometimes corn treats from the co-op.
Lots of ventilation, no bedding, chicken cloth in the bottom of the coop.
Poop looks normal mostly, occasional diarrhea, but no green.

Back
Top Bottom