Six week old Americauna, beak misaligned

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by kareninthesun, Jul 13, 2011.

1. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    One of my youngest bottom beak is severly misaligned. I feel terrible because I first noticed it about a week ago and thought (because it is light colored) that it was raw oats being eatten, by different chicks. On closer inspection, it is her beak, bottom. Doesn't slow her down or keep her from even free ranging. However she's smaller than her sisters. I keep mash available to all, always, mix soft treats with fresh raw grains, fruits such as mellon's/cherries/grapes, fresh mashed raw corn, all organic, and always fresh plentiful water. The chicks are always supervised when free ranged, and those visiting in their homefront also supervised. Could this have been some sort of accident before transporting home at five days old, and started to heal this way? Or a genetic thing? She seems fully intregrated and socialized with the others, not bullied. She is eating/ moving/acting like the others. My main concern is making sure she's intaking enough food/water. Advice? Suggestions? Help?

2. kareninthesun

kareninthesun Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 1, 2011
    no comments?

3. Yvonne37894

Yvonne37894 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 13, 2009
    Live Oak, FL
    It's called "cross beak", if you look in search for that you will find many posts for it.

4. WooingWyandotte

WooingWyandotte Overrun With Chickens

Apr 25, 2011
    Nor cal
    It's called cross beak, and yes it's a genetic thing. Many people have cross beak chickens, your not the first one. Make sure that it has a deep water/food dish, and that no chickens are bullying it. Cannot think of anything else right off the top of my head. Oh - and it's best not to breed cross beak chickens, it's genetic so the babies could end up with it.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2011

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by