Six-week-old cockerel gasping for breath

Bakbuk

Howdy!
Oct 20, 2021
It varies from moment to moment
Hi, I've got what may be a respiratory issue here. My young cock has been gasping for breath (or so it seems) since this morning. None of the others are showing symptoms, they are completely fine. It isn't like panting because it's hot, it's just... I don't know, different. You can hear a slight wheezing noise when you get close to his face. He sits down in the shade a lot, just gasping.
Do any of y'all have an idea on what might be wrong?
I'll try to get a video as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance!!

-Bakbuk

Hi, I've got what may be a respiratory issue here. My young cock has been gasping for breath (or so it seems) since this morning. None of the others are showing symptoms, they are completely fine. It isn't like panting because it's hot, it's just... I don't know, different. You can hear a slight wheezing noise when you get close to his face. He sits down in the shade a lot, just gasping.
Do any of y'all have an idea on what might be wrong?
I'll try to get a video as soon as I can.

Thanks in advance!!

-Bakbuk
Does he hold his mouth open?
Have you shone a light down his mouth?
Is he sneezing/shaking his head?

Is he new to the flock or have you added any new birds from another place recently? Do you see anything inside his beak or throat? Are there any bubbles in either eye, nasal drainage, or sneezing? Do you have any antibiotics such as Tylosin (Tylan?) Do you have other roosters (or a larger hen) who might have hurt him?

Is he new to the flock or have you added any new birds from another place recently?
Not really. Him and his "siblings" were integrated with the big girls about a week or two ago, although they don't generally have much contact with each other.
Do you see anything inside his beak or throat?
Let me go look.
Are there any bubbles in either eye, nasal drainage, or sneezing?
Nope.
Do you have any antibiotics such as Tylosin (Tylan?)
I don't think so...
Do you have other roosters (or a larger hen) who might have hurt him?
We have three adult hens, but this seems unlikely. They mostly ignore the littles.

Back
Top Bottom