Six weeks old and brooder lamp

GambaDawn

Songster
Jun 11, 2020
Central California
Hello all. Newbie question again. Was wondering if anyone could tell me if I should still use a brooder lamp in my coop at night when I first put my 7 week old chicks in their new coop? They are six weeks tomorrow and we almost have coop/run built. We live in Central California, get quite a bit of dampness/fog at night (usually in the low 50s) and they have been in our garage up until now with the brooder lamp on this last week only at night. I was hoping that was the way to gradually get them used to no heat lamp. I do have a regular light in the coop (With a timer) But am not sure if I leave that On at night, or put the heat lamp in, or neither? Thank you!

Last edited:
Chicks aren't that fragile. Judge what to do by their behavior. If they huddle together during the day they are too cold. If they avoid the heat, they are too hot. They will always huddle together at night regardless of temperature.
This. We are in texas so our nights only get down to high 70s, if even that low, but my 3 weekers are off of supplimental heat completely. Theyve been off of it since they were a week old. They still huddle at night but that's normal. When I had them on heat they would pant and sleep at the farthest end away from the heat.

This. We are in texas so our nights only get down to high 70s, if even that low, but my 3 weekers are off of supplimental heat completely. Theyve been off of it since they were a week old. They still huddle at night but that's normal. When I had them on heat they would pant and sleep at the farthest end away from the heat.
Great I will take them off completely then. Mine do sometimes lay under the light, all over the place. Sometimes they are away in a corner and they do huddle at night. Guess they are foist o go then. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom