Six weeks old, can they stand 44 degree temps?

detz

Chirping
5 Years
Dec 3, 2014
Massachusetts
They smell and it's time to get them out of the house. I have the coop built but it still gets in the 40's at night here and I'm not sure if they'll be okay with that. I have the Eco glow but that says it needs 50 degrees to operate so I'm not sure if that will break if I put it out there with them.

So it's something, four of them huddled together under that should be enough?

What about light? I read that they should stay in the coop for a week or so before going to the run but without the run the coop is pretty dark. I might have to cut a window in or something.

What does your coop have for ventilation? It should have a window, and that window should be covered with hardware cloth to make it predator proof. As long as you've worked on weaning them from heat, they should be fine to move outdoors. My 4.5 week old chicks spent last night without extra heat. I moved them into the old coop, and there's a window at either end, adjacent to the 4' long perch. I did put them in a cat carrier instead of leaving them on top of the perch where they had settled, but tonight, I'm going to let them make their own choice. These chicks were raised with a heating pad, and it's the easiest batch I've ever raised. They moved outside with their HP at 1 week, and I moved an other batch of 1 week old chicks outside last night with their heating pad. Gotta love it. Check out Blooie's thread.

I think they'll be fine. Mine have been out in the coop since they were 3 1/2 weeks old. We had a few nights that it dipped to 33F but they were too big to move back inside the house.
The coop has high ventilation and I closed the lower windows. They seemed happy as can be.

Mine went out at 6.5 weeks old and we're about the same night time temps (no heat). My Jr. coop/run is one of those small pre-made put together things. The first three nights I had to put them in the coop and close the door, after that, they went in all my themselves and I just closed the door when it got dark. This weekend they are moving to the "big girl" coop
idunno.gif
I hope it works out ok. The are 8.5 weeks old now. Getting full, no barrier introductions to our 2 hens.

I brood mine outside (brooded together, one week apart in age) and the first two groups have been without any heat since they were 4 and 5 weeks old. I evicted them from the cave/brooder so the new chicks could use it. Doing great. The second group is without heat as well now at 4 weeks. Our temps? The teens and twenties for the first two groups. Mid to upper 20s with the last group. Oh, and I also do not use a heat lamp ever. Just a heating pad, a wire frame, a towel, and some straw.

Back
Top Bottom