Six year old hen very unsteady on feet.

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by suzfau, Jun 23, 2019.

1. suzfau

suzfau In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    My little Copper Marans girl, what to do. In her youth she sat upon a tower of 15 eggs and hatched them all. (We didn't realize she was broody, in the current favorite nest box...so much to learn.)
    Two years ago she came down with very stubborn bumble foot in both feet. Vet prescribed antibiotics, I pulled out plugs. Oregeno oil finally worked. After she was better she started laying around more. We let her in the house often. Then after another year it seemed she could hardly walk at all and tail is down. Back to the vet worried that the foot infection had traveled up legs and caused pain. Nope, vet said legs and feet looked great. Maybe something neurological. I noticed her ears didn't look right and vet discovered that she had ear infections and was clogged up. Cleaned up, more antibiotics. She will stand to poop. She will wobble a short distance to lay down under her favorite piece of furniture or snuggle up against the dog. She steps on one foot with the other, stumbles, uses one wing against the floor like a cane. Tail still down. I preen her, check ears, bum etc. Her 'lightly feathered' feet and legs look like some feathers are stuck inside the scales. Vet said no mites but I've cleaned excess keratin build up, treated with vegetable oil just in case. Good appetite, good poops, talks to us when she needs something. Any thoughts?

Attached Files:

2. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Hi @suzfau :frow Welcome To BYC

I'm sorry to hear about your hen:hugs
    You don't mention whether she lays eggs or not. Have you noticed if she has any swelling/bloat or fluid in the abdomen?

3. suzfau

suzfau In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Thank you!
    She hasn't laid eggs in about a year and a half. No bloat/water belly (had one hen that did so I'm familiar) Not egg bound- chicken/avian vet has done thorough palpation, listened to heart, lungs etc. Crop is fine, not sour or hard. She has good range of motion when vet examines legs so not arthritis (had one with that). She seems content with her special attention. I just want to make sure she's not in pain. Vet doesn't think so but I wanted to ask the collective hen world as there is so much experience to be had!
    Thanks again!
    Suzanne

4. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    :hugs Her age may be catching up to her. I'm glad you had the vet examine her.
    As chickens get older, even though they have a balanced diet, they may not absorb nutrients like they should. You could try giving her poultry vitamins for a few days in a row, then once a week to see if that helps.

5. suzfau

suzfau In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks, I'll give the vitamins a try. Do recommend any type/brand in particular?

Wyorp Rock likes this.
  6. Wyorp Rock

Wyorp Rock Enabler

Sep 20, 2015
    Southern N.C. Mountains
    Personally I like Poultry Cell, my birds seem to like it o.k. I either direct dose it at a rate of 1cc per 3 pounds of weight or add it to some wet feed.

upload_2019-6-25_9-21-39.png

7. suzfau

suzfau In the Brooder

Jul 29, 2014
    Thanks!

Wyorp Rock likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: