Size difference in newly added chick

tmf321

In the Brooder
Apr 15, 2020
I purchased 4 maran chicks a week ago. Unfortunately one of the chicks had crooked feet and something else wrong with it and died on the 2nd day despite my best efforts šŸ˜”

The man I purchased them from felt bad and offered me a replacement chick which I picked up tonight. He said it was from the same hatching as the others. I noticed when I put it in the brooder it was slightly smaller and looked ever so slightly younger/less feather development than the others. It seems otherwise healthy and active, already eating, drinking and doing chick things šŸ˜Š

Iā€™m curious - anything I should be concerned about? Is it likely due to different environment, nutrition or how they are raised? Is it a sign that mine are doing really well or a sign they are growing too fast?

Iā€™m not super worried, more curious than anything. I raised other chicks that are about 5 weeks older than these and they are doing great but someone once commented on a photo I shared that they looked a little older than the age I said they were. Iā€™m wondering if something Iā€™m doing is making them grow too fast and if it will lead to health problems down the road.I free feed Purina medicated Start & Grow and mostly give just plain water but have supplemented with electrolytes and probiotics a few times. I used a brooder plate and they stay in my laundry room which never gets below 67 degrees.

I placed all 4 in a shoebox so they would be easy to take a pic (no thatā€™s not their brooder šŸ˜‚). New chick is on the far right in the first pic and on the top in the second one.
B4D62635-236E-461E-ADE2-79F1E22010EB.jpeg

F34C2028-9988-476A-B211-5ED0CD53B270.jpeg

Last edited:
Iā€™m a complete newbie with baby chicks, but I also am having the same experience. All hatched on the same day, one much smaller than the rest a few days. From what Iā€™ve heard, as long as she is alert, eating, drinking, and acting ā€œchickenyā€ you are on the right path. I am just watching mine now, and monitoring their growth in grams every day. 4 of them are 50-60g and she is 43g so notably smaller.

Attachments

• 97A01E2D-52BD-47ED-8844-A281B0F5E86C.jpeg
    97A01E2D-52BD-47ED-8844-A281B0F5E86C.jpeg
    960.7 KB · Views: 6
Iā€™m a complete newbie with baby chicks, but I also am having the same experience. All hatched on the same day, one much smaller than the rest a few days. From what Iā€™ve heard, as long as she is alert, eating, drinking, and acting ā€œchickenyā€ you are on the right path. I am just watching mine now, and monitoring their growth in grams every day. 4 of them are 50-60g and she is 43g so notably smaller.

Thanks, Iā€™ll definitely be keeping an eye on the new one. If I didnā€™t have the others to compare it to I wouldnā€™t think anything was wrong. Just thought it was interesting more than anything and wondering if it has anything to do with differences in environment as opposed to anything genetic or congenital.

Thanks, Iā€™ll definitely be keeping an eye on the new one. If I didnā€™t have the others to compare it to I wouldnā€™t think anything was wrong. Just thought it was interesting more than anything and wondering if it has anything to do with differences in environment as opposed to anything genetic or congenital.
How is she doing?

So far so good. Eating and drinking. Gets pushed aside a little by the other chicks when they all congregate around the feeder or waterer but not so bad that she canā€™t get what she needs.
I have mine separated now because she wasnā€™t gaining any weight, I think because she was getting shoved aside...+2 grams after being separated though. Sending you good luck! :)

Back
Top Bottom