1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Size difference in sexes?

Discussion in 'Geese' started by flockman, Jan 17, 2013.

1. flockman

flockman Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    My geese which were bought as a sexed pair, my male is taller, has a longer neck, weighs more stands more up right and all. My female is the opposite but there is not a huge difference in overall size. My friend has embdens. His females are much smaller and much more petite.

Boris is the same size as his male embdens. Natasha is much bigger than his females. I did not know if I just have a big girl or if his are small.

2. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    How old are they now? my goose [Toulouse] is 9 months old and just this week stated mating with our Embden gander. you should begin to see mating soon I'd say.

3. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana
    Boris and Natasha are 8 months old. I am not home during the morning so I don't know if they are mating then. Who knows. Boris' has raging hormones that is for sure. A week or so ago he attacked a cat and wouldn't let go of her till I intervened. The cat got too close to his girl Natasha.

The weather has been crazy around here. Warm then cold then warm again. We have highs today in upper 30's and tomorrow in the low 40's. Sunday to Wednesday we are to have day time temps in the low teens with single digits at night.

4. Miss Lydia

Miss Lydia Running over with Blessings Premium Member

Oct 3, 2009
    Western N.C.
    You'll start noticing mating soon if it hasn't already begun in secret. He He, but with Boris being so protective of Natasha I would think you have a pair. The weather sure has been a roller coaster the last couple of winters for sure. I saw your pics on the A buff thread they are absolutely gorgeous..

5. flockman

Nov 6, 2010
    Northern Indiana

Thank You!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by