Size difference in week old chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Momma 2 silkies, Jun 4, 2012.

1. Momma 2 silkies

Momma 2 silkies Songster

May 26, 2012
    I have 6 1 week old chicks, that I bought at 1 day old and bought 4 more today. The 4 new chicks are the same age but they are a lot smaller then the ones I had. What would cause this? Could it be because some came from a hatchery and the others came from a hobby breeder with fewer birds. Can someone give me some input on this or what they think might cause this. The darker silkie is one I've had for a week and the lighter silkie I got tolnight. Please help.[​IMG]

2. Panth

Panth Songster

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    The brown chick looks to be a week old, but I don't believe the yellow one looks to be much over a day old. What makes you think they are the same age?

3. leadwolf1

leadwolf1 Songster

May 1, 2011
    I agree...

4. Momma 2 silkies

Momma 2 silkies Songster

May 26, 2012
    The smaller chick has more wing feathers growing in than my bigger chicks do. I was told they were a day old and then when I picked them up and saw their wing feathers, I was told they were a week old. I am happy with them, they are eating and drinking but they just look kinda small to me. I will try to get pictures of the wing feather growth and post a picture for you to see.

5. Panth

Panth Songster

Mar 5, 2012
    Indiana
    BTW, from what I have read and personal experience Silkies are one of the few breeds you can actually sex somewhat by size. All of my pullets have been much much smaller than my cockerals. I'm sure there are exceptions to this rule, but I have heard of other people noticing the same thing.

6. Momma 2 silkies

Momma 2 silkies Songster

May 26, 2012
    Here is a pictures of both the light and dark chicks wing feather growth. Just a little confused but very happy with them. They are my only white silkies.[​IMG][​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: