1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

size difference in welsh harlequin ducklings

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Chunky duck, Jan 18, 2013.

1. Chunky duck

Chunky duck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Has anyone ever seen such a size difference in same age ducklings? I have just bought myself and the kids 3 welsh harlequins for Christmas. When I got them they were roughly the same size but you could definitely see a slight difference in the size of each. Now at nearly 4 weeks of age the size difference is just silly. Chunky, aptly named is huge compared to Stevie who is less than a third of the size of her sister.

Loopy to the left(hoping this is a little boy), Stevie in the middle, and Chunky on the right at 2 days old.
    [​IMG]

Chunky in the middle, Stevie to the left and loopy to the right.
    2 weeks old.
    [​IMG]

Chunky front left, Stevie snoozing front right, Loopy at the back.
    3 weeks old
    [​IMG]

Chunky at the back, Little Stevie to the left and Loopy to the right.
    [​IMG]

I had forgotten how lovely ducks were. They each have their own personalities and I waste so much time just watching them each day.
    Has anyone ever experienced such a size difference in their ducks before.
    I think I will ask the breeder if it is possible to have a gotten a bantam.

I am glad my duck is so chunky. A carpet python tried to take her for dinner the other night . Fortunately the other 2 made such a racket I got to the duck house before the snake had wrapped itself too tightly around poor Chunky and was able to rescue her easily by picking up and flicking the snake outwards. I honestly expected a dead duckling but she escaped with a few scrapes from the snakes fangs on her leg. Have doubled up the snake proofing but they are still living in the bath tub I got such a fright.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2013
  2. Chunky duck

Chunky duck Out Of The Brooder

Jan 18, 2013
    Just so you know ....it tuns out that our little girl who wouldn't grow had a liver/kidney problem. Sadly we said goodbye last Tuesday as her health had deteriorated and there was obviously more wrong with her than we thought. Her symptoms were that she did not thrive , was half the size of her siblings from week 2-3, her feathers were very slow to grow and was still not fully feathered at 3 months and her belly got rounder and fatter with fluid buildup. As she got worse she also developed purple bruising on her webbed feet which was and indication of toxicity. I only hope she was not in to much pain or discomfort before she passed away. RIP Stevie , we will miss you.

3. So sorry for your loss, wow, I would have never known.

4. Going Quackers

Going Quackers Overrun With Chickens

May 24, 2011
    On, Canada
    Sorry for you loss.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by