Size difference with different breeds of chicks? Delaware vs. SL Wyandotte

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Lmilla, Sep 12, 2016.

1. Lmilla

Lmilla New Egg

May 8, 2015
    RVA
    Hi, guys!

We got a mixed flock of baby chicks that turned 4 weeks old today - they were all supposed to have the same hatch date of 8/15... We do have a silkie, and were expecting to see a size difference between her and the others, but man! Our Delaware chick seems huge compared to our SL Wyandotte! Our EE chick seems to be in between the 2 size-wise, but we expected her to be a bit smaller based on the size the hens should be.

A Delaware and a SLW are supposed to be about the same size as hens - 6.5 lbs. Why would there be such a big size difference at this point?

(They are all supposed to be pullets - they were sexed at the hatchery... I know that they can be wrong, and I'm hoping that the Delaware is truly a pullet and not a roo - and that there's a different explanation to their size difference!)

I'm trying to add a pic from my phone, but it doesn't seem to be working. I'll add it from my laptop when I get back inside.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2016
  2. Lmilla

Lmilla New Egg

May 8, 2015
    RVA
    Finally in front of the computer... here are pics of the babies!
    [​IMG]
    top view of SLW and Delaware - pretty accurate pic of size difference.
    [​IMG]
    Not quite side-by-side...
    [​IMG]
    all of our new additions to our flock!

It's Macy, Una, Peeps, and Maggie, from left to right.

Thanks for any help you can give!

3. HaloAmanda

HaloAmanda Out Of The Brooder

Jun 24, 2016
    Norwalk, Connecticut
    I have a mixed bunch as well and have noticed the same over the last week. But also among the same breed. One of my silkies is almost double the size of my smallest and they were hatched the same day and were the same size when I brought them home. The big one is gorgeous and I'm preying it doesn't turn out to be a male as well.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by