Size difference with Pekins...

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by aduckstolemyheart, Nov 11, 2010.

1. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    While I was finding pics for a diff thread here, I found a few pics of my ducks together, and I noticed how much bigger my Pekin drake is than the other two. Even up next to his mate, my Pekin hen, he looks so much bigger!! He outweighs them by quite a bit too.

Is it because she was this years hatch (march) and he's older? Is it possible he's jumbo? Can't say I know much about the Jumbo vs. regular Pekins.

Anyone have any insight, is it normal to see a big size difference among individual Pekins?

Here's the pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. katharinad

katharinad Overrun with chickens

He does not look that much larger, nor does he look like a jumbo pekin. Males are in general a little bit large and heavier. Pekins weight 7-13.5 pounds.

3. aduckstolemyheart

aduckstolemyheart Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2010
    Missouri
    That's good to know! She weighs 9 lbs right now and the last time I weighed him was at the vets last summer and he weighed between 13- 13.2. Scary to think of how much he weighs now! lol

4. gofasterstripe

gofasterstripe Chillin' With My Peeps

My jumbo Pekin Sly is 12 weeks old and is just a tad bigger than my pekin females...I think shes gonna be a BIG duck.....oh 2 secs let me find a pic....any excuse for a pic [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by