Size does matter

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Motec, Mar 31, 2009.

1. Motec

Motec New Egg

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    I started with a pile of machinery shipping creates I got from work. [​IMG]

Then I ordered 50 Light Brahma hens. They are to be here the week of May 4. That only gives me 1 month to make a brooder house and a BIG coop. If I can get the brooder house done, that will give me an extra month to finish the coop.
    With the help of my friend, we started on the brooder. The base is a 7' X 9' skid. I plan on putting three brooder pins that are about 6' x 3' stacked at the far end. After the chickens move out, I will use this to store the feed and supplies in.
    We got a lot done in one day but ran out of nails and 2x4s.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We did get a start on the main coop. If you can see the skids we are using for the floor. They are 7' x 9' and I am planning on using three of them for a 9' x 21' coop.
    [​IMG]
    I was hoping than I had enough used material to build these without buying much, but that isn't going to happen.

2. LynneP

LynneP Chillin' With My Peeps

Um, before you get too much farther, you might want to get fewer hens.
    Great start, for about 25 birds- but 50 will be problematic. Even at 4 sq ft per bird you'd need 200 sq ft but realistically that's too small to prevent pecking. You're going to a lot of trouble and you'll have a great brooder and coop, provided you don't overcrowd the birds! There's still time to modify that order!

[​IMG]

3. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Quote:LynneP, I think the first couple of pics are the brooder coop, and the last one is the base of the main coop - 9 x 21. If these birds are free ranging it probably won't be a problem, will it?

Motec, are you indeed free ranging? Looks like you are lucky enough to be on a farm.

4. LynneP

Not sure if they are free-ranging, but overnight would be in coop?
    Roost space can be a spot for major squabbling.
    I like the brooder very much, that should work well.

5. Motec

Motec New Egg

Mar 18, 2009
    Indiana
    The coop will be 21' x 9' about 190 sq ft. They we be free ranging. I have a run that will be 75' x 25' and more area to be used part time.[​IMG]

6. LynneP

What's your climate? Do the birds have to be in the coop a lot?

Nice-sized run! [​IMG]

7. Jenski

Jenski Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 17, 2008
    Middle Tennessee
    Could ya get a few less hens, and then leave yourself room to "refresh" your flock next year with new ones as space allows? This would give you a chance to see how things go. ??

Either way, let us know how it goes! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by