Size drill bit for screw in poultry nipple?

Chantele

Hatching
9 Years
Apr 17, 2010
Hello!

I was wondering... What size drill bit do you use for a screw in poultry nipple? Is it a 11/32 or a 23/64? Also, should tape be wrapped around the screw part before inserted into the PVC pipe? Any suggestions you have are welcome!

Thanks!
Chantele

I used something slightly bigger than the grommet the nipple comes with, then I wrapped teflon tape around the grommet (while the grommet was attached to the nipple) and it works wonders. If you had the right size bit, you wouldn't have to wrap it with tape.

They say that teflon tape is not needed and I have done with and without but why not. I always use teflon tape now just for an added seal.

I found this thread while trying to address my own nipple woes. Below is a list of things that I tried, just in case they can help others avoid my mistakes.

1) Used 5/16" bit. This was too small.
2) Used 3/8" bit, the next largest in my drill kit This was too big, but I used silicone to try and plug them in there. This, too, failed, and water leaked out immensely.
3) Went to hardware store, found 11/32" bit mentioned above. Seemed to small, but by the grace of God I found a 11/32" screw that I was able to thread each hole with. Then I wrapped each nipple in PTFE/Plumber's tape and got them in there with a wrench, tight as a ... well, something that's tight. It was a perfect fit. This last method seems to have worked, as my nipples are now dry and only produce when titillated.

Hope this helps!

Back
Top Bottom