Size drill bit for screw in poultry nipple?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chantele, Mar 25, 2011.

1. Chantele

Chantele New Egg

Apr 17, 2010
    Hello!

I was wondering... What size drill bit do you use for a screw in poultry nipple? Is it a 11/32 or a 23/64? Also, should tape be wrapped around the screw part before inserted into the PVC pipe? Any suggestions you have are welcome!

Thanks!
    Chantele

2. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    I used a 9mm for both the threaded type and the push-in type. No leaking even after a year.

3. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    I used something slightly bigger than the grommet the nipple comes with, then I wrapped teflon tape around the grommet (while the grommet was attached to the nipple) and it works wonders. If you had the right size bit, you wouldn't have to wrap it with tape.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They say that teflon tape is not needed and I have done with and without but why not. I always use teflon tape now just for an added seal.

5. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I was told 23/64 for screw-in, 11/32 for push-in.

6. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    11/32 and no tape. Nice snug fit, no leaks.

7. jsjustice7

jsjustice7 Out Of The Brooder

Jun 8, 2008
    Sumrall, MS
    We used 11/32 drill bit and no tape. Worked great. Good luck.

1 person likes this.
  8. chavira777

chavira777 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 27, 2015
    Tacoma, WA
    Was it necessary to thread the drilled hole with a bolt, prior to screwing in the nipple?

9. njschmidt

njschmidt New Egg

Sep 12, 2015
    I found this thread while trying to address my own nipple woes. Below is a list of things that I tried, just in case they can help others avoid my mistakes.

1) Used 5/16" bit. This was too small.
    2) Used 3/8" bit, the next largest in my drill kit This was too big, but I used silicone to try and plug them in there. This, too, failed, and water leaked out immensely.
    3) Went to hardware store, found 11/32" bit mentioned above. Seemed to small, but by the grace of God I found a 11/32" screw that I was able to thread each hole with. Then I wrapped each nipple in PTFE/Plumber's tape and got them in there with a wrench, tight as a ... well, something that's tight. It was a perfect fit. This last method seems to have worked, as my nipples are now dry and only produce when titillated.

Hope this helps!

2 people like this.
  10. bryceschicks

bryceschicks New Egg

Jul 25, 2016
    The ones I got from TSC used a 11/27 db, then I tapped with a 1/8-27 NPT tap. This worked excellent. No leaks and no cross threading.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by