Size for coop, run, or tractor

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by CASDOG1, Mar 9, 2013.

1. CASDOG1

CASDOG1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    South Carolina
    I am looking to purchase or build either a run/coop or a tractor for a flock of about 16 birds. What are the dimensions I should look for to make sure my chickies have enough room to remain healthy & stress free? I know a run/coop will need to be larger than a tractor since the tractor will be moved around. I may do both just so I can have them in the tractor to fertilize my front yard occasionally, too. I will be allowing them out to free range under supervision daily during good weather.

~~~~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 10, 2013
  2. Judy

Judy Moderator Staff Member

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    There isn't a cut and dried answer; it partly depends on climate, as just one factor. Chickens don't care much for snow, so unless they have a covered run, they will tend to stay indoors when snow is on the ground. Here is a very good post about space, which includes the "rule of thumb" often given here:

https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/700308/coop-and-run-size/0_20#post_9504811

3. CASDOG1

CASDOG1 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 26, 2013
    South Carolina
    That's not a concern. Snow in South Carolina is scarcer than hens' teeth. *sigh*

Thanks!

~~~
    Anna & Co.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by