Size of 3 month old pullets

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by RoseMary12, Jun 20, 2016.

1. RoseMary12

RoseMary12 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 2, 2016
    Kansas City, Missouri
    I have three twelve week pullets and I'm worried that they will not grow to their full size because they are pretty small now. They will get to their full size at sixteen weeks or four months, right? They are each about a foot tall. Are they going to get much bigger? Could they have a birth defect? Probably not all have a defect, but all replies are welcome!!

2. CluckerCottage

CluckerCottage Chillin' With My Peeps

wondering what you are feeding them now and what you started them on? have you checked for parasites such as mites, lice and worms?
    what breed are they? not all chickens are the same size when mature.

3. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    Your chickens are three months olds, they aren't near grown yet, and are still babies. You could post some photos to see if they look undersized. Most chickens continue to grow and fill out for two years.

4. RoseMary12

Apr 2, 2016
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thank you. I was worried when CluckerCottage mentioned worms. :)

5. oldhenlikesdogs

oldhenlikesdogs Sits With Chickens Premium Member

Jul 16, 2015
    central Wisconsin
    I have never wormed a single chicken in my life. Most older birds carry a reasonable worm load, young birds are less likely to have worms. Even at a year old a chicken will look undersized. Most take 2 years to fully mature and reach their full size, but I guess I'm repeating myself.[​IMG]

6. Chickenmanjim7

Chickenmanjim7 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 16, 2015
    Aberdeen, Washington
    from what I have noticed. Birds don't reach their full weight/size until almost a year. They will be smaller when they first start laying and continue to grow.

7. RoseMary12

Apr 2, 2016
    Kansas City, Missouri
    Thanks for all the info everyone!! :p

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by