1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Size of a normal Pekin duck wings and size of house needed?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jsleep787, Dec 31, 2012.

1. jsleep787

jsleep787 New Egg

Dec 31, 2012
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Hi! I'm getting a Pekin later on this year, and I'm looking for a dog house for it to be its little home in the fully inclosed pen that I will build for it soon. But, I'm not sure what size dog house I should get. I know that it needs to be big enough for it to fully stretch it's wings, but I haven't been able to find out how long their wings accually are! If someone could please tell me, and maybe show some dog houses they have used for their ducks and have worked well, that would be so helpful! Thank you so much!
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  2. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    Are you getting just one?

3. jsleep787

jsleep787 New Egg

Dec 31, 2012
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Yes.

4. jdywntr

jdywntr Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 31, 2009
    Somerville, AL
    ducks need 4-8 sq ft of indoor space and 10-25 sq ft of run per duck.

A single duck will be a very lonely duck. It is not recommended to keep only one unless it is going to be an indoor pet and then you need to spend a lot of time with them. They are flock animals and don't thrive on their own.

5. jsleep787

jsleep787 New Egg

Dec 31, 2012
    Memphis, Tennessee
    Thank you! And it will be an outdoor duck after it is fully grown, but it will have plenty of people to interact with. And I hope that I can get another duck in the future so it'll have a friend. :) thanks again!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by