size of birds

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by tuesdays chicks, Aug 2, 2010.

1. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    ok I was just looking at someone elses post taking the bet on who is going to lay 1st. at 19.5 weeks. so heres the think my birds are about a week younger then those birds and mine look so small in comparison granted I have a campine and andalusian but also a light brahma the questions (1) do they grow really fast in the last final weeks up to 20. or (2) is it just a trick of the eye with the picture making those birds look bigger. my brahma does look like shes starting to grow bigger then the other 2 birds but not by much.
    thanks for any input
    erica

2. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    I suppose there are lots of factors to growth.

How much you've fed them... how much is available for them to eat on a regular basis... crowding....

I look at Cyn's birds and they all seem like GIANTs compared to mine... could be that fresh GA mountain air... I don't know.

It also depends on which breeder you got them from. There are so many factors.

When they are ready, they'll lay, but not until....

...oh, and don't expect a growth spurt during week 19.

3. tuesdays chicks

tuesdays chicks Songster

Apr 26, 2010
    stuart florida
    thanks Mahonri , probably is most likely their breeding, they get plenty of food and water, i guess florida heat will produce smaller birds if you go by adaptation to environment, I'll be patient just wait my turn for eggs.

4. chickenboy21

chickenboy21 Songster

Mar 8, 2010
    it could possible be what you are feeding them i personally keep my birds on a starter ration for almost a year... and same thing it depends the breeding line, if the parents were both smaller birds they will most likely produce small birds... you can switch your birds on to a starter for a while longer and they can still grow but they probably wont lay eggs for you until theyre on a laying ration... goodluck [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by