Size of brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Stedman, Apr 19, 2017.

1. Stedman

Stedman Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2016
    I have a 50 gallon plastic tub here, how long should I keep them in here before I have to come up with something else for them. [​IMG]

2. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    That's a perfect chicks set up! You can probably keep them in there for about 2 weeks at the most.

3. Stedman

Jul 9, 2016
    Any recommendations what to use next. Too cold here for them to be outside yet

4. SIMZ

SIMZ Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 29, 2011
    Northwest Indiana
    A huge cardboard box can buy some time! I've used those huge boxes from the grocery store that they put watermelons or potatoes or bananas in. I've gotten them from Aldi before. If you only have a few, you can get by with a 4X3 area with high sides and a few perches for probably up to 6+ weeks.

5. BlueShadow

BlueShadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Nebraska
    How cold is it there? With your setup, you probably could move them outside when they are only a few days old. As long as you keep the drafts off of them, that heat plate will keep them warm. They definitely could be moved out into the coop if it isn't drafty, and if it is drafty, probably could still be moved with some creative use of cardboard and/or bedding materials.

6. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    X 2 - as long as you have access to electricity in the coop (to power the brooder plate)and the coop provides a draft free environment at chick level (ventilation from above is a different story and very important) there is no reason they can't go outside. Many folks brood their chicks outside from the first day.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  7. Stedman

Jul 9, 2016
    I'm in Massachusetts and it's still in the 30's and 40's here

8. BlueShadow

BlueShadow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2015
    Nebraska
    Do you have a picture of what your outdoor coop looks like? That is plenty warm for chicks to go outside, again, as long as they are protected from drafts. They will run back under that heat plate to warm up any time they get chilled.

Bonus of moving them out to the coop sooner is that they will feather out more quickly and be acclimated to the weather. By 4 or 5 weeks, you shouldn't need to provide any heat for them. Plus, chicks in the house are cute but chicks outside are where they belong!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by