Size of brooder???

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by CayceV, Feb 3, 2008.

1. CayceV

CayceV Out Of The Brooder

Jan 16, 2008
    British Columbia
    I need to get started on building a brooder for my chicks that are supposed to be arriving in like a week and a half. I have time to do it today but I need to know what size should it be??? I don't want to have to build a bigger one in a few weeks time so I'd like to be able to leave them in it until they're ready to go outside. I'm getting 31 chicks - a variety of chickens - Wyandottes, Araucanas, Blue Andalusians... Just so you can get an idea of the sizes.

Help would be greatly appreciated!
  2. playswithfowl

playswithfowl One Earth!

Jun 18, 2007
    I would also like to know how big of a brooder is needed for this amount of chicks.
  3. howlingwoodsfarm

howlingwoodsfarm Chillin' With My Peeps

Hello, I will give my two cents and also this will bump it up for you so hopefully some other people can help also. Do you want them to be 6 weeks and require no supplemental heat before they go outside? Or just a place to keep them for the first few weeks, then get them into a bigger coop with supplemental heat? My estimate would be that 4x4 would work for the first 3 weeks. If you want them grown until 6 weeks I would go more for 4x8 minimum. I just looked in some chick catologs and they say 1/2 sq ft for the first 2 weeks per chick. then 1sq ft after that until 6 weeks. So that pretty much correlates with what I guessed. Bigger is always better, and they will be happier for it.

4. Badhbh

Badhbh Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    Southern Indiana
    I'm building mine 3'x5'x18". I'm praying that'll be big enouhg for about 25 chicks for 4 weeks [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by