Size of Brooder

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by jdoane, Aug 27, 2013.

1. jdoane

jdoane Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    My five chicks are 3 weeks old. I am using an old baby pen with poster board up on the lower half of the sides to prevent drafts. I think it's about 3x3. I have screens on the top t prevent escapees. AS they are getting bigger FAST - I'm wondering if this is going to be big enough until I can move them outside. Really hoping it is!

This picture is before the chicks arrived so I hadn't yet put in the shavings or screens on top. Any thoughts on whether this will get us through until we are able to move to coop?

[​IMG]

2. ChicKat

ChicKat Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Depending on breed, you will probably have enough room for your three for quite a while IMO. I have raised them in cardboard boxes with Brinsea ecoglow to keep them warm... so no fear of fire.

you want to easily be able to clean it...reach in for water refills and feed refills, and of course handle the chicks a bit. If you live where they can go into their outdoor home at 4-weeks or when fully feathered....I think you can make it for 4-weeks.

3. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I have five not three. They are a Barred Rock, a Gold Sex Link, a Black Australorp, and 2 English Orpingtons. Two are feathering out much faster than the others. I assume should keep them all together before moving them out to coop.

4. ChicKat

Sorry, I got the age and the number of chicks switched in my brain. Should have read it better. I thought that they were just hatched.

Yes, I would keep them together if your plan is to have them live together as a mixed flock. Growing up together will promote the greatest harmony.

My thought is still that they should be okay in that size enclosure.....it won't be for long -- Is the place you are keeping them right now smaller than the new enclosure? I guess too at that age they are going to be jumping and trying to flap and fly so it's good you have a screen for the top.

If you live where the weather isn't too cool/cold - you should be just about ready to have them moving outdoors. (here it is pretty warm most of the time...so I feel really comfortable putting them outdoors at 4-weeks), and it's nice to not have the chickens in the house by that time.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2013
  5. jdoane

Aug 7, 2013
    Western Massachusetts
    I'm in Massachusetts. So still pretty warm during the day but cooling off a lot at night. Down to 50s or 60s. Two of my 5 our feathering out really well and my other 3 are kind of laggin behind. So we'll see! LOL. My brooder is in our garage so they get a little bit of the day night temp fluctuation and could experience more if I wean them off the lamp.

Once we finish our run - I think I'll be letting them spend a bit of time out there.

6. ChicKat

That will make them so happy they won't want to come back into the brooder....there's nothing like happy chickens.

If there is ventilation and no high humidity Chickens do very well in natural temperatures. Sometimes well-meaning folks make them sick by adding heat when they don't need it -- but coldness isn't a problem here...it snows maybe once every 15-years or so.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by