Size of cage for baby chicks

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by hckyguy77, Mar 4, 2014.

1. hckyguy77

hckyguy77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2014
    Im new to baby chicks and found some to buy at a local store that gets them from the hatchery further out. I am going to do a wood enclosure and would like to do 3 feed by 4 feed not sure how high yet but how long would this house how many birds. Can i get away with 5 or 7 birds until they are ready for their coop. Thanks for the help in advance.

2. granny hatchet

granny hatchet Tastes like chicken Premium Member

Sep 26, 2013
    madison Indiana
    i have been told 1/2 square ft. per chick . they grow pretty fast though. bantams need less space. a lot of people have grow out pens next to the coop it helps get them used to others if you have any and put on more size. my brooder is 3x4 and i think 7-8 chicks fill it up by age 4-6 weeks old.

1 person likes this.
  3. 3riverschick

3riverschick Poultry Lit Chaser

May 19, 2009
    western PA
    My Coop
    I agree with grannyhatchet. Sounds like a good size for your needs.
    Best,
    Karen in western PA, USA

4. cafarmgirl

cafarmgirl Overrun With Chickens

That is approximately the size of my brooder and I raise 6 or 8 at a time. They move out to their coop at 4 or 5 weeks old but prior to that I have them going outside for a few hours each day in a small pen by the time they are 3 weeks old, weather permitting of course. By 4 or 5 weeks old they are too big and too busy to be happy in their brooder all day long.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by