1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Size of chicken door? Is it a popdoor, poopdoor?

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Hooterville, Oct 10, 2008.

1. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Is this called the pop door or poopdoor or popdoor--anyway, I tried searching and none of these worked!
    [​IMG]

Need to know approximate size to cut. Does it need to be any bigger for jersey giants?

Thanks a bunch!

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    I am not sure what it is called but by looking at some of mine I vote for poopdoor.

Ours are around 12" x 16" and they are plenty big enough for chickens, ducks, guineas, and turkeys. The geese have a bit of problem with them. Also our 90 lb dog can get in and out, however it is a very tight fit.

3. roosmom

roosmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    ROTFL, Just make sure it is big enough for you to get out of if you have to. [​IMG]

4. Hooterville

Hooterville Chillin' With My Peeps

Oh my gosh! I never thought about that! I did get stuck in mine once, but I had a nice BIG window I could get out!

This is for DD and her biggest is the Jersey Giant--hopefully her doggie won't need to fit!

5. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    Seriously tho, I would make it according to your weather and the size of the bird

6. miss_jayne

miss_jayne Lady_Jayne

Jun 26, 2008
    Columbiaville, MI
    i have two pops and one poop door on the big coop!

someone, and NO ONE will fess up, got a humungo poop on my screen door and it dried and dripped down! my cute slamming door all poopy. ugh.

so, could be both, depending on your situation![​IMG]

7. roosmom

Jun 3, 2008
    upper peninsula
    [​IMG]

8. Chirpy

Chirpy Balderdash

May 24, 2007
    Colorado
    [​IMG]

The door that the chickens go out is called the pop hole and the door you use to clean out the coop is called the clean-out or poop door.

My pop hole is roughly 12x14 and it's plenty big enough for my brahmas. Jersey Giants may need a bigger door.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by