size of coop door

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by Resi, Feb 14, 2017.

1. Resi

Resi Just Hatched

Dec 10, 2016
    hi, we are building a coop for our new ladies (yet to arrive) some lovely silkies. We are going to have an automatic coop door (timer operated). Now - would a 23cm opening be big enough for the 5 ladies and a rooster to use? if not what is the minimum opening?
    thank you! R

2. speedy2020

speedy2020 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2010
    My is 12" x 14" and have no trouble with rooster size. If you are going to buy an automatic door kit with frame, check the dimension. It would save you the trouble re-do the door later.

3. Ol Grey Mare

Ol Grey Mare One egg shy of a full carton. ..... Premium Member

Mar 9, 2014
    Oregon
    My Coop
    Are you building it as a square with height and width being 23cm? *i*personally would suggest a minimum of 12 inches (30 cm) square, especially if you may later decide to house large fowl breeds. Are you building your own timed device or using a prebuilt model? If the latter you would want to follow the size of the model you choose

4. Ogdenfarms22

Ogdenfarms22 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 4, 2017
    My door for them is 20 h × 15 w.
    Of course they all have to be the first out. Lol so the bigger door saves me the headache of injured birds.

5. flyin-lowe

flyin-lowe Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 24, 2016
    Indiana
    Is it a coop built to "normal" building specs? Most sheds etc have studs 16 inches on center. I built mine that way and I just cut out the area between two studs and about the same height. That was the easiest thing to do.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by