1. rirwlchicken

rirwlchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    I bought a coop that is 5'3" x 3'4". The nesting boxes are attached but are not included in these measurements. I have rhode island reds and leghorns. How many chickens do you think can fit comfortably in this coop? How much space do a feeder and a waterer take?

2. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

If you're talking about the housing part of the coop only (not the run), then you could most likely get by with 5 birds, although 4 would be better. You can always keep your feed and water out in the run area to save space inside.

Oh...and [​IMG]

Last edited: May 24, 2010
  3. rirwlchicken

rirwlchicken Out Of The Brooder

May 24, 2010
    Wow. I did not expect to get an answer so fast. Thanks.

4. FiveHens

FiveHens Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2010
    Yeah. The formula is 4-3 square feet of space inside coop per chicken (more space is better) [​IMG]

5. teach1rusl

teach1rusl Love My Chickens

You will get varied responses to your question, because different folks go by different "standards." For standard breeds, I use the 4 sq. ft. per chicken suggestion for coop housing. However, if you barely get winters, then you can get by with less space as long as your run is ample or you free range. If you're in a cold winter area, then you want more space inside your housing, as chickens tend to spend a LOT more time indoors. Now that I broke out my calculator, I should have suggested 4 chickens for your coop (unless, as I mentioned, you barely get winters). But be prepared for many different opinions on this (and other) subjects...lol. Weigh the advice given you and make your decision based on that. You should say hello and introduce yourself under the "New Members" section [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by