Size of coop?

callen0912

Chirping
Jan 31, 2015
I have went through and written down breeds I like, for both looks as well as what I want production wise and what I think is best for our climate (north Ga mountains). All of the breeds I have in mind to pick from are all large fowl. Does this change the general minimum of 4 sf/bird in the coop and 10 sf in the run (I forget the space needed per bird for the roost).

The measurement is for the large birds. For bantams I would go with 3 sq in the coop and 8 in the run but since you are going with large that does not matter.

On the roost I go with 1 linear foot per bird and 18 inches from the wall minimum. I also give another foot or two of unneeded roost so they can get up and down easier since they will be flapping to gain balance and the neighbors don't want to be flogged.

The measurement is for the large birds. For bantams I would go with 3 sq in the coop and 8 in the run but since you are going with large that does not matter.

On the roost I go with 1 linear foot per bird and 18 inches from the wall minimum. I also give another foot or two of unneeded roost so they can get up and down easier since they will be flapping to gain balance and the neighbors don't want to be flogged.

Thank you so much! And a particular about the roosts, I've read conflicting info on whether the roost should be rounded or if an ordinary 2x4 with the wider side up as a roost? I've seen where your supposed to have a rounded roost, but also the people who have use the wider side of 2x4's as roosts and it worked fine. I'm more concerned about what's best for the birds, not just what works.

Last edited:
I use the 2x4 and so far the hens have had no ill effects.
If you like you can put one 2x4 roost and one tree branch roost and see which one they prefer.

I'm working on a possible design for my chicken coop, and now my question is about nest boxes. I've read that generally a good size nest box is 12x12. Should I allow for a bigger box? Where in the coop should the nest boxes be at? I do remember reading to have them away from the roosting area so the birds don't roost on the nesting boxes.

Also, how far up should I have the coop off the ground? I'm thinking that for the run, I will have the space directly underneath the coop be part of the run so it will be shade for warmer weather, also considering covering part of the beginning of the run with a small piece of plywood over the top of the run for additional shade incase the girls decide to be in the shade at the same time they won't have to be forced to crowd into one small shaded area.

I wouldn't stress too much about shade/shelter for during the day. Do what you can, but don't worry too much. I went to elaborate lengths to make shade/cover from rain and those dumb clucks will still go out and stand in the rain. Mine are out during the day, have 2 carports, could stand under the swingset platform, and several other places to go. But, when it pours down rain, they go to where the rain pours off the roof the worst and that's where they stand, getting soaked.,

I'm working on a possible design for my chicken coop, and now my question is about nest boxes. I've read that generally a good size nest box is 12x12. Should I allow for a bigger box? Where in the coop should the nest boxes be at? I do remember reading to have them away from the roosting area so the birds don't roost on the nesting boxes.

I make my nestboxes 16 inch cubes, that has worked much better than the 12" cubes I made before. I use 4x8 sheets of waferboard that costs about $9 and makes 4-6 nestboxes per sheet.

I make my nestboxes 16 inch cubes, that has worked much better than the 12" cubes I made before. I use 4x8 sheets of waferboard that costs about $9 and makes 4-6 nestboxes per sheet.
Any idea about placement of the nest boxes?

These are examples of my nestboxes. I've noticed that most, but not all the hens prefer the "top bunk". Sometimes there are 3 hens in one box, while 3 others boxes sit empty
idunno.gif

Back
Top Bottom